What filter and pump would you suggest?

Reaction score
I think your biggest issue is not necessarily the filter--tho that is very important. But you have to have a pump powerful enough to push through it.

If you're gonna buy that one from Ebay, you should ask the seller what the wattage usage is on it. It might seem cheap on the onset, but could eat you out of house and home on the electricity consumption on the back end. Personally, from the looks of that one, it's really more of an aquarium pump than a pond pump. that little pre-filter is gonna get clogged very quickly IMHO. And anything with a suction cup is purely for a tank. There's no such thing as a $17 pond pump. I just think you are throwing your money away. Even if you have to use a used pondmaster at 50-60 bucks.

If you want to do something cheap, at least do a pondmaster. At least you're getting a quality pump with longevity and a name, plus low electicity usage.

This is a good one, for example. Or even this one. There's a bunch on ebay that are way better than what you're eyeballing.

I've had two pondmasters that have been in use over 5 years without a hitch.

Ask a Question