Pump and Filter Suggestions

Reaction score
Hi, first post.

I bought a house last year that had a small pond—roughly a 6-3ft x 9ft kidney shape with a deeper (2.5 ft) area in the center. I’ve attached a photo.

I replaced the leaking liner, and picked up an inexpensive Tetra pump/filter box combination. This worked well, but the plastic filter box, hose, and pump have quickly deteriorated in just one year. I also cleaned the filter media 4 or 5 times during the summer.

I have about 13 or so goldfish of different sizes, two Iris plants and a horse tail plant.

I also don't have much free area around the pond for putting an external in the ground.

What I would like is a compact, durable system that will keep the fish healthy, the water moving, not need to be cleaned frequently. Efficiency is also a factor.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Almost forgot, I am estimating this right at 500 gallons, but am open to refinement.

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 308

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum ..jupiterboy
If you want to add a water fall a Skippy style stock tank filter would be good

Reaction score
welcome! Yes, check out our DIY section to build yourself an inexpensive filter! Your biggest challenge will be hiding it. You could build up a waterfall with stone and stick it behind there and have your filter overflow over the rocks.

Reaction score
Under the side of the deck is possible. I am looking at some of the DIY ones, and wondering about leaking and the fittings.

Also, where to place the pump. Questions about a pre-filter.

Some of the pumps now will pass objects and not clog? Reliable brands and sizes? Sources for inexpensive bio-media?

Thanks for the replies.

Reaction score
How is the housing on the Titan holding up? The plastic of the filter case and pump I have are breaking down and getting brittle after just a year.

Also, how does the Titan handle the offspring?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
jupiterboy said:
How is the housing on the Titan holding up? The plastic of the filter case and pump I have are breaking down and getting brittle after just a year.

Also, how does the Titan handle the offspring?

i have had mine for about 8 years with no problems, i did need to replace the propelar last summer it was wearing but apart from that its fine and it was left in the pond all winter

Reaction score
Regarding filter media, it seems there are a wide variety of products in use, many that were not intended for this purpose.

I’m wondering if there are bad experiences with some of these breaking down, generally being toxic to the fish, etc. Same with sealants, although I am looking at a flat-walled filter container using bulkhead fittings, which should come together without using sealants.

Reaction score
No filter is needed for that size pond and fish load. Measure ammonia levels to tell for sure. That's needed whether you have a filter or not. If the pond can't handle the ammonia load it will show up in just a few days. Pond suppliers love to sell filters sized to a certain size pond. But pond size has nothing to do with filter size or need, only fish load.

If a pond's ammonia level is zero without a filter it is really hard to get it below zero with a filter. Bacteria don't know they're suppose to stay inside a filter, they will grow on any surface.

I once had a terrible filter building addiction. Bio filters, mechanical filters, pump pre-filters, UV, on and on. Turned out I didn't need any of them. Life got a lot easier.

Reaction score
Waterbug said:
If a pond's ammonia level is zero without a filter it is really hard to get it below zero with a filter. Bacteria don't know they're suppose to stay inside a filter, they will grow on any surface.

I once had a terrible filter building addiction. Bio filters, mechanical filters, pump pre-filters, UV, on and on. Turned out I didn't need any of them. Life got a lot easier.

In addition to the fish load, this pond gets a bunch of leaf material from the trees above. I’m not the buy and upgrade sort, so I think this should take care of it.

Having kept aquariums for more than 20 years, I might add that while bacteria don’t know they’re supposed to stay inside a filter, water flow and surface area can optimize and boost the natural process.

In this case I did pick up a Titan 800 pump with a matched pressurized filter. It is not clogging so far, keeps a nice pressurized return flow—enough that I was able to add a DIY venturi, which appears to be a hit with the fish.

I found a 1/2 threaded T with 1" barbs. A 1/2" threaded plug with a 3/8" barb works as the air intake. I used a short piece of nylon? hose, trimmed to shape inside the T to create the venturi, and the put another 3/8" T on the air intake side, made a loop out of the 1/4" air tube, and drilled holes in the loop to cut down on the noise and possibly help with clogging. Clear as mud? Here’s a pic. And thanks for the suggestions. I would have done the DIY filter but then I found a really good price on a pressurized unit that was size matched.

Attachments

• venturi.jpg
    venturi.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 312
Reaction score
"jupiterboy" said:
... while bacteria don’t know they’re supposed to stay inside a filter, water flow and surface area can optimize and boost the natural process.

Absolutely true. But you can't boost beyond 100%. If a current setup can handle 100% of the load in all cases the addition of more filter will do nothing.

Ask a Question