sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think they are talking about not using a pump at all or a filter .I only turn it off so it does not get pulled into the pump right away .I want it to get moved around the water and mixed and allowed to settle a little before turning pumps back on .If it does not settle some and can not pick up the fine particles of algae or settle on the heavy stuff to coat it and deprive it of oxygen and light and nutrients .I have been doing this way since the beginning .If it goes straight into the filter it would not work as well .I do keep my aerator going and there are 9 air stones in the pond at different depths and also one in each filter and one in the water fall pond

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@tbendl Just curious, but do you still have your snotty algae?
Yes! I'm holding out hope that it will only last this first year. I believe Meyer said that that's when he normally sees it.
I haven't brought it up recently because I know the first question will be what are my water parameters and I don't have a test kit yet. Soooo I've just been scooping snot every day and complaining about how I need to get a test kit.
It's working for me, I've found that whining while drinking a glass of wine results in the hubby scooping.... :ROFLMAO::woot::joyful:;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@tbendl -- you are just too funny! And you're actually brave enough to admit to not having a test kit.....WOW.

Reason I asked......and I'm sure you're wondering since this is under the "koi clay" thread...... I was draining my filter the other day (Mr. Skippy) and I thought about you.....but NOT in a dirty-filter way. I put 2 and 2 together (I love those light bulb moments!)....... OK, "koi clay" is a flocculant, right? Well, as the dirty water was draining out of Mr. Skippy, there were these massive amts. of sheeted [for lack of a better description] particulate gunk coming out as well, and in the 4 years I've had Mr. Skippy, I have NEVER had anything like that discharge with the water -- it's always in liquid form. Hmmmm..... Then it dawned on me! The "koi clay" is the only thing new. That gunk was flocculated [is that a word?] algae and stuff! And I wondered if the same thing would happen with your "snot."

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well since it's already gunked together I don't know that the clay would do anything else for it. It's a great thought though. I also have the batting to put back into the upflow pot. That would probably reduce the amount of fines in the water that are feeding the snot but again... Lately it's been easier to complain about it rather than do anything about it..
LOL I know, I'm a rebel without a kit.
I've actually been pretty sick, recovering from a spider bite. I was pretty certain it was going to turn me into Spider woman with the ability to shoot spider webs and climb walls but sadly reduced me to sick, nauseous woman able to throw up in a single bound and make my husband want to climb walls. :sick:
I'm hoping to make it to the store to get a test kit... I could also order it from Amazon but it seems almost anti-climactic after everything I've been through... Lol

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@tbendl Oh, no! I hate to hear and hope you're getting better!!!!!

What kind of spider was it, and what happened? I mean, I know you got bitten, but like, where was the spider; what were you doing....?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm not sure, I suspect a wolf spider but just because of the symptoms and bite site. It was the last night I was in Indiana and we were camping, I really didn't think about it until I got home and started getting sick.
I'm getting better, I've never had a spider bite before. Thinking I'm going to go ahead and check that off my to-do again list. Not fun. Thanks for the kind words though. :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wow T, glad you're better! I've had a few nasty spider bites, but I've never gotten sick from one before. Just a nasty wound that takes a long time to heal and itches like a mo-fo. I really don't mind spiders, but dude - DON'T BITE ME!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry to hear Tbendl, get better quick!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sounds like a tick bite, serious spider bites usually involve local tissue damage, while tick bites can lay you low with a cocktail of encephalytic grumps.

Bartonella (sp?) comes to mind as a debilitating condition which doc's fail to diagnose

Regards, andy
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Last edited:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sounds like a tick bite, serious spider bites usually involve local tissue damage,
There's damage. It's awful.
Although like I said, I don't know for sure what bit my on my tookus, I just know I got bit, and then I got sick. The wound site is still healing and I'm better off not knowing what it was, I have weird enough dreams as it is without thinking of something hairy or squishy or buggy or slimy or slithery or... well you get the idea... touching my butt.
And thanks you guys, I'm definitely on the mend.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
awwwwwwww a tookus bite! I am sure someone here will take a good look at it for you, make sure you are healing well!

Ask a Question