More than one thing you can do with Koi clay

Reaction score
OK, Its not koi clay but it is bentonite or is that one of the same? I did a nature days class a while back and I found these interesting rocks in the creak. Once I picked them up I noticed that it was a type of clay which I've never seen before. I thought it was so interesting on the consistency and smoothness of it so, I put some in a bag to take home. I molded this little mouse on the way home and let it dry over night, no cracks or anything. Next day we had a fire going in the wood burning stove and I tossed it in and kept it in overnight. In the morning I was amazed that it actually fired. After some research I have established that it has to be bentonite. Fun stuff and been working on some more pieces. Yeah, I know I'm weird, It’s the little things in life that keep me going.

Attachments

• IMG_0843[1].jpg
    IMG_0843[1].jpg
    110 KB · Views: 424
Reaction score
That is so cool! Who would think a wood stove would act like a kiln. I used to love working with clay in high school and I lived in the art department during my free hours.

Reaction score
I didn't think it would work either but, I was fiddling with it while down by the fire and thought I would give it a try. My understanding when I took art back in the day was that a kiln had to get to around 1,800 degrees. No way is my wood stove close to that. Maybe 1,000 degrees on the coals. I think bentonite has a lower firing temperature than most other clays. The real neat thing about this clay is that is has no grog or sand particles like most other clays you fire so you can carve it at any stage before firing which even make it more fun. My wife is really going to think I'm crazy when I test the kitty litter.

Reaction score
Koi clay is bentonite aka calcium montmorillonite.

Clay for koi is 100% bentonite. If someone is using something else that is blended with other stuff, that may be one thing. But any box of koi clay I've bought regardless of brand always says: 100% bentonite.

Reaction score
Montmorillonite isn't IN koi clay, it IS koi clay. Calcium Montmorillonite is just another term for bentonite, which is koi clay.

I guess it's semantics. LOL! The clay itself is made up of a bunch of minerals, iron, etc. if that's what you meant DoDad?

Here's a good article on koi clay, and where I happen to get my clay from:
http://www.bonniesplants.com/KoiClayBenefits.htm

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i looked into using koi clay in 08' decided on Koi Vital instead.. i removed my post because i thought i may have remembered incorrectly after thinking on it .. i seem to remember that montemorillinite was basically bentonite clay that came from a certain region that made it of the highest quality.. so i didnt want to interject falsely, if im not remembering correctly. i seem to recall zeolite content was a factor for absorbing ammonias..but like i said it was 18 months atleast i have a pretty good memory but..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not necessarily There are at least 3 types of bentonite clays. Sodium bentonite, Potassium bentonite and Calcium bentonite. All used for a different purpose.
koikeepr said:
Montmorillonite isn't IN koi clay, it IS koi clay. Calcium Montmorillonite is just another term for bentonite, which is koi clay.

I guess it's semantics. LOL! The clay itself is made up of a bunch of minerals, iron, etc. if that's what you meant DoDad?

Here's a good article on koi clay, and where I happen to get my clay from:
http://www.bonniesplants.com/KoiClayBenefits.htm

Reaction score
All I know is that they sure make pretty little sculptures. I thing a koi is appropriate for my next one.

Reaction score
wait a minute. Sodium Bentonite is basically a sealant because it expands many times its size. I've heard of people recommending it for leaks in a pond, for example. From what I remember about postassium betonite, it came outta volcanoes or from the ash or something like that...i think similar to sodium b, it's sort of used like a sealant or filler. But I'm not sure if you can use that in a pond for any beneficial purpose.

As far as I know, the bentonite I'm referring to is the one that is typically referred to as koi clay. These other two are not referred to as koi clay.

Reaction score
I'm wondering Airic if the Japanese used this clay for any type of pottery similar to what you are using. I wouldn't be surprised... Looking forward to seeing that koi...you could be starting a cottage industry here! LOL!

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
they look really good Airic...i use to make things too with clay and we had a wood burner and i use to bake mine in there ...only trouble it use to make them turn black .... look forward to seeing more of your work :nananananana:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can't dig up Koi Clay,:D you dig up Calcium Bentonite and this is sold as such.
Calcium Bentonite Clay is used as Bath use To control itching, For First Aid, used for facial mud packs, colon cleansing and used in ceramics. I could go on and on. So the mines mine it and sell it as Calcium Bentonite. When you buy it you can call it anything you want.

So Buy a few tons of it and repacage it and call it what you want.:nananananana::banana:

Ask a Question