What is this critter????????

Reaction score
I brought in some plants from the pond for my guppy tank and this guy hitch hiked in.

DF.jpg

Attachments

• DF2.jpg
    DF2.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 200
  • DF3.jpg
    DF3.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 176

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Better in the pond as they can eat little tiny fish and guppies wouldn't stand a chance.

Reaction score
Interesting. He was wayyyy cool though.

No baby guppies yet :( She's just laying on the bottom of the tank ..... I wonder if that's normal? she doesn't want to swim.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Is she really fat? Hope she hasn't got babies stuck and can't get them out. Maybe she is just uncomfortable. Poor ma ma :(

Reaction score
I would have also suggested a dragonfly nymph, but there are other larvae of flying insects which have similar appearances. Mayflies are one and there is another which I cannot recall at this time. Of course I am thinking along the lines of insects which are indigenous to Nebraska so you could have other species there. Dragonfly is probably the best possibility.

Speaking of dragonflies... Quite a few years ago, say around 1992 - 1994, I stepped outside my back door on a warm summer evening, around 6-7 pm to enjoy the evening sun and I was just standing there admiring my trees and grass and the sun going down. When all of a sudden I found myself in the midst of a swarm of dragonflies of a variety I had never witnessed in my life until then or ever since. There were many dozens of them, possibly getting close to 100 or maybe more. Their bodies were olive green in color and tip to tail they were between 4" and 6" in length! They had black eyes and clear wings. They literally looked like a squadron of miniature military drones! They flew all around me and over that one section of my yard only and then they moved off across the fields and out of sight. I have tried to look them up on the internet and in books ever since, but I cannot find any information on such a creature. Nothing that big or that color.

Gordy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Speaking of dragonflies... Quite a few years ago, say around 1992 - 1994, I stepped outside my back door on a warm summer evening, around 6-7 pm to enjoy the evening sun and I was just standing there admiring my trees and grass and the sun going down. When all of a sudden I found myself in the midst of a swarm of dragonflies of a variety I had never witnessed in my life until then or ever since. There were many dozens of them, possibly getting close to 100 or maybe more. Their bodies were olive green in color and tip to tail they were between 4" and 6" in length! They had black eyes and clear wings. They literally looked like a squadron of miniature military drones! They flew all around me and over that one section of my yard only and then they moved off across the fields and out of sight. I have tried to look them up on the internet and in books ever since, but I cannot find any information on such a creature. Nothing that big or that color.

Gordy

those were really small flying aliens..............checking you out!
18.gif

Reaction score
It definitely looked like a dragonfly. We have bright red ones all around the pond. My hubby got some cool pictures, I will post them as soon they are downloaded to this computer.

How exciting to have a cool critter I didn't even know existed until yesterday.

My poor guppy died.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I would have also suggested a dragonfly nymph, but there are other larvae of flying insects which have similar appearances. Mayflies are one and there is another which I cannot recall at this time.
They literally looked like a squadron of miniature military drones! They flew all around me and over that one section of my yard only and then they moved off across the fields and out of sight. I have tried to look them up on the internet and in books ever since, but I cannot find any information on such a creature. Nothing that big or that color.

Gordy
Damselflies?
That was the Royal Canadian Air Force! :D
John

Ask a Question