What is this? It looks like an incoming water drain? Or is it outgoing? Can I cap it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know? The water is pooling there..nothing coming in as we've been in a drought for 3 months with only the occasional sprinkle.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Attachments

• Pond Drain 1.JPG
    Pond Drain 1.JPG
    419.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Pond Drain 2.JPG
    Pond Drain 2.JPG
    468 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Does anyone know? The water is pooling there..nothing coming in as we've been in a drought for 3 months with only the occasional sprinkle.

Thanks,
Cheryl
So is that a hole in the concrete? Hmmmm, wonder if you have an underground spring?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's a tube but why would it be on the side. If it was up higher I would say overflow tubing. But it obviously doesn't drain or I'd not have had the mess I was dealing with.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It's a tube but why would it be on the side. If it was up higher I would say overflow tubing. But it obviously doesn't drain or I'd not have had the mess I was dealing with.
Maybe it is a drain and it's just plugged up. Wondering where it would drain to tho? There should be another end to it somewhere maybe sticking out where there is a slight downhill place? Could be all covered up w/grass tho and hard to find. Guess you could try pulling it out. Prolly won't help anything tho, not sure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe it is a drain and it's just plugged up. Wondering where it would drain to tho? There should be another end to it somewhere maybe sticking out where there is a slight downhill place? Could be all covered up w/grass tho and hard to find. Guess you could try pulling it out. Prolly won't help anything tho, not sure.
It's still covered in muck. I'm gonna try to wash it off with a hose tomorrow so I can walk in there, to get a closer look.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
logical assumption would be a bottom drain the way the concrete is formed , or a very odd circulating return jet

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would try squirting a hose into it and see if water comes out anywhere. Have you had the pond full of water and did it hold water?

Another thought, is that it somehow was used to attach to a pump in the pond. But it would have to lead somewhere. Is there or was there a waterfall? Is there any pond pump equipment?

It seems narrow for a drain, especially with all of the leaves and miscellaneous that accumulate in a pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So it rained last night (wasn't even in the forecast) and now the previously empty pond is now holding 6 inches of water. I'm beyond shocked.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would try squirting a hose into it and see if water comes out anywhere. Have you had the pond full of water and did it hold water?

Another thought, is that it somehow was used to attach to a pump in the pond. But it would have to lead somewhere. Is there or was there a waterfall? Is there any pond pump equipment?

It seems narrow for a drain, especially with all of the leaves and miscellaneous that accumulate in a pond.
I'm starting to think this is the overflow from the other area although i have never seen the other area with rain. Now I have to drain it again before I can do anything.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can look for something that looks like the other end of it @ the upper area and hold the hose against it and see if the water goes through.

It seems like an overflow wouldn't need to come in at the bottom.

But if it was the line recirculating to the upper area they might have wanted it hidden.

Is it possible there is a valve somewhere that is closing this mystery tube?

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can look for something that looks like the other end of it @ the upper area and hold the hose against it and see if the water goes through.

It seems like an overflow wouldn't need to come in at the bottom.

But if it was the line recirculating to the upper area they might have wanted it hidden.

Is it possible there is a valve somewhere that is closing this mystery tube?
I will suck out the water tomorrow and investigate. It rained and filled it up again. What a nightmare. Once I get it empty, I'm covering it with a tarp.

Ask a Question