What is this stuff "growing" on my pond walls and everything else?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The entire surface inside my pond is covered with this spongy, rubbery, stuff. I noticed it about two years ago. I'm finally getting around to asking if anyone else has this in their pond? Is it algae, some form of water lichen, or something else?

Attachments

• IMG_5386.jpg
    IMG_5386.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 25

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1653495839850.gif
@NMPondguy
I'm gonna guess you live in New Mexico? Looks like freshwater lichen but I'm not sure. Might be mixed w/algae too. They like to pal up together.

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 151111@NMPondguy
I'm gonna guess you live in New Mexico? Looks like freshwater lichen but I'm not sure. Might be mixed w/algae too. They like to pal up together.
Good guess! I live in Albuquerque, NM.

I wasn't sure that "water lichen" actually existed. I must have heard the term somewhere. Now that you confirm that it is a thing, I think I'll go search Google..........

Edited to say that I had to give up the search to find a photo of a freshwater lichen matching my "sample": There are lots of photos, but images like that give me the heebie geebies! :wideyed: I think I'm good.

Many Thanks,
Phil

Last edited:

Ask a Question