sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All the rain and storms yesterday were worth .Cooler out and windows open and wind is blowing all the dust bunnies out of the house .flowers to plant and weather to enjoy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Anyone else losing plants, perennials, annuals, vegetable plants, etc. because of so much rain for so many days? My tomato plants have just about had it, then finally got 2 days in a row of dry ... well almost dry, if you consider .4" dry. LOL At this point, that's nothing, since inches was the norm for the last 3 weeks. Crops here are dying from flooding, some of my annuals are dying, and I might have 12 of the same plant, and 3 are dead, the other 9 are fine, within inches of each other. Go figure ... Other perennials are dying, like creeping phlox. Fine one day, almost totally dead the next. Same with two white salvia plants. Got them last year, did great, bloomed and really got big, then poof, totally brown and dead looking. Delphinium bloomed beautifully, and overnight it was totally dead. Hoping the perennials will come back, but we shall see.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thank you colleen .I am looking for another one still .I have had lots of rain but so far just a small amount of slow down in blooming but nothing lost to the rain .This is the first day with no rain but nice and cool to get all my new plants planted and mulched and trimmed the whole front yard .My tomato's are not ripening but my sister already has ripe tomato's .Which surprised me and when she posted it on face book i could not believe it .But they were good and juicy and not alot of seeds and really big

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Amazing, Sissy! I planted my tomatoes and pepper plants in mid-May, about a month after could have planted, but was in no hurry. But, since they were planted later, they were really affected by the rain soaked ground. What I don't get are vinca annuals planted in my new mounded landscaping in the front yard. Most of the plants are doing great, really blooming and flourishing, but every now and then there is one that is totally wilted and dead. My Master Gardener friend stopped by today, and she thinks the plants may have had some type of disease when I bought them. I never thought of that, but why one out of 4 in a 4-pack! I would have planted one pack at a time, and not all 4 in a row are dead, just one here and there. I just have to think that it has to do with the rain, but then it IS a somewhat raised bed, too. So, she is likely right.
Even my ginkgo tree has wilted leaves, but they seem to be getting better. I am thankful for all the rain, as I had a flowering crab tree that was beginning to lean pretty bad, so I have it staked and trying to push it back upright is much easier with the ground pretty saturated. Using board against the tree trunk, and another one wedged between trunk and "T" post, plus "T" post and rope on the other side (use a piece of garden hose around the trunk of the tree, to keep from cutting into the trunk with the rope). So far have moved it pretty much, almost to the point of being straight again, but need top push it past straight, so I can stake from both sides and it will grow straight on it's own again. Lesson learned ... stakes my two new trees already. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Anyone else losing plants, perennials, annuals, vegetable plants, etc. because of so much rain for so many days? My tomato plants have just about had it, then finally got 2 days in a row of dry ... well almost dry, if you consider .4" dry. LOL At this point, that's nothing, since inches was the norm for the last 3 weeks. Crops here are dying from flooding, some of my annuals are dying, and I might have 12 of the same plant, and 3 are dead, the other 9 are fine, within inches of each other. Go figure ... Other perennials are dying, like creeping phlox. Fine one day, almost totally dead the next. Same with two white salvia plants. Got them last year, did great, bloomed and really got big, then poof, totally brown and dead looking. Delphinium bloomed beautifully, and overnight it was totally dead. Hoping the perennials will come back, but we shall see.
Dairy farming is a huge industry here. Most all of the corn crops are turning yellow. Also, it's too wet to do any haying. Those that try end up tearing up the field real bad.
We have a raised bed garden, that is new this year. I got the top soil from a local gravel pit. Thankfully, it doesn't hold the water that well. I added a yard of aged horse manure, and about 1 1/2 yards of miracle grow potting soil. Everything is growing like mad. This isn't the norm for us. Usually, we have killed off half of the stuff by now.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My veg garden is in pots on the deck, so far they are doing fine. The yard gardens are handling the excess rain, but we are on a steep slope so it drains off pretty good.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Rain 5 days a week! Heading toward a possible record for the month. 6 3/8" so far, the record is just over 7". Hard to mow the yard, especially the back third, which is a bit lower. So far, none of my pond plants have suffered! :D
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sunny and beautiful today, rain coming for the next seven days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have a rain gauge, and this month kept track as well as I could of the total rain. Just counted up the numbers ... exactly 16" of rain in the month of June! Unbelievable. Checked a site, and it said for Effingham, IL, the average rainfall for June is 4.25"!!! Yep, we hit a record for rainfall for June. Every area is different in totals, too. Where my boss lives, only 20 miles south of me, that town got 5" a week ago, and I got less than an inch same storm. Effingham got 2" of rain in 20 minutes one night last week, I got .1". So, every area is different, but I found Effingham on the chart, since it is larger than the town I live closer to. Love the lower humidity the last few days, AC has been off since Friday evening!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Just looked to see average rainfall for my area for the month of June - 4.25" is average. I have had right at 16" of rain this month, been keeping track on my calendar daily. Wow! Much cooler weather since Friday so no AC on since then. Loving this beautiful weather! If it would JUST quit raining. Saw this on FB, had to laugh. Yep, this is pretty much what it's like around here. To have 3 days in a row with no rain would be glorious!!!
Picture.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
The weather is HOT. Way too hot for western Washington!! It's 91 degrees out, and my thermostat shows 90 in the house 90 DEGREES IN MY HOUSE!! Generally, most people in the greater Seattle area don't have air conditioning, residentially. It just typically doe not get hot enough to need it. This has been a weeks-long stretch of unbearable heat, with only more to come.

P.S. Please send ice. :)

Ask a Question