What kind of fish food are you people feeding your goldfish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I only have goldfish and i tried small pellets but they keep spitting it out.I am now feeding them flakes and they love it. I would like to feed them something different but i really don’t know what .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-23 at 4.25.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-23 at 4.25.08 PM.png
    876.9 KB · Views: 10

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
platinum pro something or other pellets, buy it in 50lb. Bags

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
platinum pro something or other pellets, buy it in 50lb. Bags
I HAVE NEVER USED IT BUT I KEEP HEARING GOOD THINGS ABOUT BLACK WATER CREEKS PLATNUM PRO FOOD

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I HAVE NEVER USED IT BUT I KEEP HEARING GOOD THINGS ABOUT BLACK WATER CREEKS PLATNUM PRO FOOD
Yep, that is the reason I started using it and it comes in large bags. It has probiotics and some other immune system boosters in it( think beta glucose an is one). All of my fish seem to do well and recover quickly even after spawning season when my large or dragon scaled koi can get roughed up some.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mine love Cheerios.
I see people saying this and I think "really? I wouldn't eat that - why would I feed that to my fish?" I mean, I'm sure they WILL eat them, but should they?

Sorry - I just think that's a terrible idea. Where in the wild would fish get highly processed, heavily salted, sugar sweetened, chemically fortified grain? Not a single thing in Cheerios that fish would actually eat if given the chance, starting with oats.

We've bought different kinds of fish food over the years, but the thing I always look for is ingredients that make sense for fish - not a lot of grain fillers, things like fish meal, shrimp meal, etc as the first ingredient.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Besides feeding Dainichi goldfish pellets I give my shubunkins a bunch of organic flat leaf parsley every other day tied with jute and anchored to the side....It is completely devoid of leaves by morning....obviously they like a change from algae:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
From left to right:

Blackwater creek Gold-N medium pellet, Hikari Gold mini pellet, Hikari Fancy sinking baby stick.

Have tried new life spectrum regular pellet. it is very good but smaller than the hikari baby pellet. They do make a large pellet.

The fancy sinking is the only one of the three with fishmeal as first ingredient. Blackwater Creek is a little big for my smaller goldfish. We have a few Wakins from them, they are an amazing company! The bigger fish fight over the floating pellets, make fun treats. In my limited experience the goldfish in my container pond seem to do better(color) on hikari fancy but its not cheap.

IMG_6972.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't often feed mine but when I do I feed them as I might in a tank, a varied diet. Sinking shrimp pellets, dried bloodworms, and some pond floating stuff. They do fine on their own but I like to toss in a treat once in a while so they remember who pays the bills.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They're probably too small to be able to have them in their digestive system, so they spit them out. When they wait long enough, the water softens them up and they start taking bites out of the pellets. I have Koi and Goldfish and pellets are the only thing I feed them.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
For variety my goldfish like bug bites , main ingredient is insect. It comes in 2 sizes. slowly sinking like flakes. Also alae tabs. They sink to the bottom and slowly dissolve. a couple of those keep my 3 goldfish occupied for 2 or 3 hours.

Ask a Question