What to do with a water lily rhizome

Reaction score
Late last night I got handed a clump of water lily rhizomes from a neighbour who's wife is making him fill in his pond /cry These rhizomes have no stem and no roots that I can see (I need to do a closer inspection) They look like a canna lily rhizome. My question is what do I do with this? Every lily planting instructions I have found talks about the roots and the stems... which these have neither. Should I put them in water until they start showing some growth, and then plant them? Are they dead? I would really appreciate some help!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would put them in the water and see if they start to grow before I went to the trouble of potting them up. Hard to say if they are dead or alive, but you'll find out soon enough!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
net bag, sank with a rock, I do that with lilies tubers if I am not sure they are alive.

Reaction score
Addy...A net bag? Do you mean the kind that you get for laundry? So just throw them in the bag and sink they with a rock?

They are firm so I believe them to still be alive... they do have a bunch of roots but I can't find a growing "crown" so I don't know what part to make sure is out of the soil when I plant.

Ask a Question