sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess if mom and dad and my sisters had not moved down here I would have stayed in NJ but moved towards the lower end of NJ .We did have a house near AC that we remodeled but sold it when we heard the ford plant was closing and decided to move south to be near family .Know what you mean JW I had a bike and used to ride all the time in NJ but down here with these narrow back roads it is too risky .You have to almost get on the dirt to pass another vehicle .I love to look at scenery no matter how many times I pass the same thing I see something new .I was raised for awhile in PA as U was born there and still have my parents house there and some cousins and my Uncle Ivan still has the 1000 acre cow farm but he has passed away and his sons run it .They have wanted me to come up and stay in the old house that Uncle gave my parents to stay in .My parents decided not to live there when they moved up there as they wanted to be closer to town .They bought a Christmas tree farm on 30 acres that my cousins still run and they live in the house rent free and they pay the taxes and maintain the house .That was bought back in 1986 .Every state seems to have a different flavor to it as to customs .I like NC but VA was cheaper and closer to mom and dad ,actually hubbies parents .Not to confuse any one .I love the flea markets in NC and the Hillsville VA town wide flea market

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We finally are dumping the tiny stack washer dryer the tenant put in our laundry, she tossed out our full size units. This one is so small you can wash two sheets only.
And cleaning out the laundry room, still full of a lot of her stuff. And painting and doing new flooring, tile. Decided a new laundry set deserved a nice room. The room is 6x8

Darn busy weekend lol, they are delivering on Monday. We are also getting rid of the water heater and putting in a tankless one.

The pic is all the stuff we pulled out of it. Now need to toss and toss. We put out boxes of stuff and the "trash" pickers come by and get what they want.
a.JPG
IMG_3697.JPG

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh boy @addy1 you made a fine mess out there but I know soon all will look beautiful w/nice new tile and laundry appliances installed! Tankless will be nice and take up less room. Trash pickers are gonna love you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love the blue ridge on the Harley or the new ride but prefer the Harley by far.. between the scenery the wildlife the flora and all the hiking trails the blue ridge is no place to step on it . But in the same regard those looking into the tree line for a bear siting g or deer. need to be considerate and if other cars are stacked up behind you ;please use one of the multitude of pull offs and let people go on there way and continue to see the BRP at your pace.The tail of the dragon is not a place to be sight seeing that road has 318 curves in 11 miles and you need to be very attentive the entire way. if not for the road the for any trucks that might make there way onto the road no matter how good a driver they are on some of those turns there ass end of the trailer will be in your lane.. And if someone does come flying up on you in a corner that your doing 15 because that's what your car is comfortable doing. there's many others there in cars made for cornering that will do 30 around the very right hairpins . they are doing the speed limit in a car that can corner with ease. so pull over and let them go . after all if they are out of control and driving past there ability the last place you want them is behind you .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never understood those stackable units ,they just seem useless .I would love picking through the stuff addy I want a tankless but would have to put in propane tank and a prefilter because of the iron in the well It is even a scarier road GBBUDD when it is foggy .I came back one time on it and one part would be clear and then you would turn a corner and run into a heavy fog that you could not hardly see any thing .Time to go shower all the saw dust off me from working on projects in the basement .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Speaking as a traveler for work those little stackables can be a god sent in a tight space. In the day when i came back to where ever i was staying completely covered in mud or what ever the task was for the day. Having a washer to even wash one pair of pants and a shirt right there and then saved those from being ruined and stained for life. So though they are not a family or even a great couples washer and dyer they certainly have there place.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
never understood those stackable units ,they just seem useless
She was tiny lady, her clothes were so tiny she could do a ton of laundry in one wash. When she passed she was 68 lbs. about 40 lbs to lite.

We are getting a full size stackable unit, that way we have some room in the laundry to store the ladder etc. I have that at home, love it! They are stacking them for us, they need to install the metal brace that keeps the dryer on top of the washer.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We moved our laundry from the basement to a spare small bedroom. My 20 year old unit finally died in the basement and hubby moved our laundry up to a spare bedroom , I love it being upstairs.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Main reason I wanted a 1 story house .My laundry here is 12x15 and the modular home builder thought that was strange ,but not to me .I use it for my computer my sewing machine and a craft room and to be honest I wish it was bigger .;)I thought ahead for every thing ,even handicapped swing doors .I could always sell the other 2 lots but for now it is for me .I made a list a whole year before I retired about what I wanted and what I needed in a new house .Did tons of research and then drew out the house and Norris homes built it .Basement contractor could not understand why I did not want stairs to it from inside and why would I want plumbing put in ,you always have to think ahead and that could be future living space and no one would have to break up the insulated cement slab .There were tiny mistakes I made but they have been somewhat changed as the years have gone by .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My biggest mistake was laminate floors but they were in back then and if installed correctly they can be good but this installer from the flooring place was the worst .Doing vinyl plank myself and seeing how great they are making my house work much easier .Yesterday I installed all the new smoke detectors ,10 of them all wired up and have the new ion lithium battery back up with lights in them and they talk .I will donate the old ones to habitat for humanity .Nothing wrong with them except you have to change the back up battery once a year .The new ones are good for 25 years and not cheap but well worth the cost .Peace of mind is worth it .Thought of stacking my front loaders but with my bad back and being short it was better to put them on the drawer stands .Been lucky with the whirlpool ones as no problems with them since 2004 when I bought them .I just wish the lawn edging and weeding was easier .The need to come up with a ride on mower that edges the lawn at the same time ,I have seen people on youtube that make up their own .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My biggest mistake was laminate floors but they were in back then and if installed correctly they can be good but this installer from the flooring place was the worst .Doing vinyl plank myself and seeing how great they are making my house work much easier .Yesterday I installed all the new smoke detectors ,10 of them all wired up and have the new ion lithium battery back up with lights in them and they talk .I will donate the old ones to habitat for humanity .Nothing wrong with them except you have to change the back up battery once a year .The new ones are good for 25 years and not cheap but well worth the cost .Peace of mind is worth it .Thought of stacking my front loaders but with my bad back and being short it was better to put them on the drawer stands .Been lucky with the whirlpool ones as no problems with them since 2004 when I bought them .I just wish the lawn edging and weeding was easier .The need to come up with a ride on mower that edges the lawn at the same time ,I have seen people on youtube that make up their own .
IF YOUR RIDING MOWER HAS A BAGGER ATTACHMENT I' D LOOK at that area as a place to place a bar /cutter straight edge slide it in and lean it forward . using the front bar to place the bar on and the back bar to secure the cutter use a hose clamp to set it and run your walks and driveway . You do seem to be a ambitious crafter

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
no bagger I am up on a hill I would never risk getting hurt

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
love love love the blue ridge hope to retire that way . the only thing that will stop me is my pond . But if i can build it once i can do it again .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Friends live there ,but it is not for me .John who worked at ford lives there and has a home left to him by family in Ohio also.I visited a couple of times but have not been up there for the last couple of years but we talk on the phone often .Just like friends in Florida ,I only see them when they have to leave because of storms but talk to them on the phone .

Ask a Question