Whatcha doing today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No need for the garden hose, I’m limited by space needed vrs where it’s available, and need for access to the pond. I’ve got about 2-3 ft from the porch wall to the edge of the pond. Originally, I’d planned to lightly stock the pond and have raised bog beds along the wall. May still do that, and plant those with vegetables and such. But I need money/ or to borrow a welder and skills from someone to weld the frames how I need them set up. step dad has a welder out at my sisters, and dad knows how, so that is a viable option at another time. But I’ll need filtration this spring.

Attachments

• 6385B45D-71B4-4974-89CF-716C4ABA5F52.jpeg
    6385B45D-71B4-4974-89CF-716C4ABA5F52.jpeg
    339.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 9E17A21B-F25C-4354-A5F8-2EEC37FA8487.png
    9E17A21B-F25C-4354-A5F8-2EEC37FA8487.png
    79 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That purple square is where I’ll have the pump set up on a milk crate, it will draw the water to the lowest area for mulm to accumulate, so I can remove it easily. The pond is dig out in steps, some collapsed, and I put in a “ critter slide” going the wrong way, I should have put it facing away from the house. There’s currently a fence to keep puppies wrangled about 2 ft from that edge. That fence will be moved to go around the concrete slab and pond area once we are all done with puppies. ( please dear god, let these be the last puppies!) That should prevent the dogs from using my pond as their rinse off play area/ tearing things up, mucking it up, possibly carrying things from the stream or river into the pond. And once I set up the netting, I hope to keep cats out of it too. I need to figure out how to acquire the netting I’ll need, and set it up. My current thoughts are use mesh fabric this spring for the pond, set up a few feet from the surface, and sloped so the maple seeds can slide off. Then once the bog is dug, I’ll need to get something stronger, and set it up to keep leaves out. Sadly, this is the one area I know it would take record breaking, vehicle damaging flood levels to get to the pond, but there’s a big maple hanging over it, thus seeds, leaves, and shade. Which means I’ll have to pick shade tolerant plants for the bog. And I’ll have to do some serious landscaping around it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It’s been a hole in the ground for a full year now, which I suppose gave the dirt time to shift and settle. It was a crap year, I didn’t get to it like I wanted, and my stress levels reflected that I didn’t have my pond to zen out in. I’ll be less stressed once it’s done. Just the joy of watching it, and if I’m lucky, a chance to swim in it. I’ll cross my fingers that I can set it up right so that the water snakes done come for the fish!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I ended up paying for my efforts. Had a bad headache originated in my neck, it kept me up half the night. So I’ve spent the morning inside working on a design for my sister, she wants her windows painted at her new place. Acrylic pain on glass, looking like sunflowers. I’m waiting on hearing back as to just what kind of windows she has, and if she wants other flowers mixed in, other colors than just yellow. There are some lovely red/ burgundy subspecies available now, as well as an almost white and an almost black. Add in a few butterflies, morning glories, lady bugs, and maybe some birds... depending on what she decides she wants. Acrylic is easy to get off if she changes her mind later, either soapy water and a scrubbie, or a razor blade followed by normal cleaning. I’ve done it on windows before, and a sliding glass door I couldn’t find suitable shades for. Other options for folks who want sheer color rather than blocking out light, can draw and use permanent marker, which cleans off with rubbing alcohol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Addy1, I saw a honey bee! Considering the time of year and temps, I offered her first a bit of strawberry jelly, which she wasn’t keen on, then I dipped a qtip into honey ( local, not crap from China full of pesticides and who knows what) and she was happy till I guess she had her fill and left. Temps are already dropping for the day, so I hope she gets home safe and returns next time it’s warm enough. Leaving the qtip there for her if she does.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat! This time of year they fly out looking for food if it up above 45 or so, at least ours do. Above 38 or so they do elimination flights. Mine fly a lot to the ponds to gather water. It does need to be warm enough so they can break cluster which is above 40ish, even then they do not all break cluster, the outer bees leave then come home.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
First complete rough draw of a sunflower, with various shades shown in case my sister opts for more than just yellows. Second one is painted, waiting for it to dry so I can outline it. Third one is drawn, to be painted once second one is dry. First is full on open, second one is side view, third is side view of almost open. My plan is to have several templates, which I can tape up, outline, and then paint in, followed by stems, leaves, and what ever else. That’s why I outlined the different shades. I originally painted it with basic yellow, and a bit of orange mixed in for the darker shades, but then I added the various reds, a bit of brown, all as close as I can freely mix based on pictures of the other colored sunflowers.

Attachments

• 176DAB64-3225-460D-9F71-C03B4533C2CF.jpeg
    176DAB64-3225-460D-9F71-C03B4533C2CF.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 15

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
More Farming Simulator tonight.

My farm is finally starting to get off the ground. I've purchased more fields and equipment, and I've built a nice fleet of tractors of various sizes and brands.
PhotoByJB_FarmingSimulator19_20210119_02-58-35.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Neat! This time of year they fly out looking for food if it up above 45 or so, at least ours do. Above 38 or so they do elimination flights. Mine fly a lot to the ponds to gather water. It does need to be warm enough so they can break cluster which is above 40ish, even then they do not all break cluster, the outer bees leave then come home.
Sadly, I didn't see 1 honey bee last summer.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sadly, I didn't see 1 honey bee last summer.
It is sad, when I was a kid bees where everywhere. Walk barefoot in the yard with clover = a sting or two. Not anymore. They are working on bee genetics that might help them fight the mites. Very few swarms survive in the wild.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It is sad, when I was a kid bees where everywhere. Walk barefoot in the yard with clover = a sting or two. Not anymore. They are working on bee genetics that might help them fight the mites. Very few swarms survive in the wild.
That’s why I work hard to help my local bees. Wild honey bees around here are so often killed by pesticides sprayed on fields, but our 10 acres are pesticide free, though I’m about to have to use some granulated forms to fight the invasive Japanese beetle grubs. I’d prefer the nematodes, but I don’t know where to get them, short of ordering online. I’m hoping I can work on eliminating a few more invasive pest species around here, like the “tree of paradise “, except for the one big tree. The trick for that will be to spray herbicide into cuts I make in the bark next fall, so it kills the roots. They spread by seed and suckers on the roots, and grow very quick, with brittle wood, so not great for out here as we get high winds.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use a lot of the granular stuff for the ants mainly. I quit being concerned about grubs, don't have bad attacks by japanese beetles. Hardly ever see any. Our yard has become balanced, with all the stuff growing, the frogs, toads, birds bugs fight to stay alive. And we have a lot of praying mantis. I save every egg case I find when grooming, it gets put in a safe place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Something else I noticed. 2 summers ago, I watched 3 dozen Monarch Butterflies hatch under the board siding of my house. I planted fresh grass on my lawn around the Milkweeds I planted the previous year. Last summer, I trimmed around a decent size area of Milkweed plants, only to see not 1 monarch stop by. I heard a huge number of them were killed by pesticides.

Ask a Question