When can I feed?

Reaction score
I live in Ohio, Dayton to be more precise

Water temp is at 62f but I am worried it could drop a lot due to being mid March. When does everyone start feeding their fish??

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When water temps stay above 55F consistently for several weeks you can start feeding again but don't worry the fish won't starve while waiting and looking at you w/ begging wide open mouths. Bugs and such fall in and they'll eat whatever they can catch and that won't hurt them. They'll eat algae and scraps of plants also while waiting for Spring to stick around!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I cheated too, wheat germ, water has been above 60 for a few days now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My water temp is around 56-58 during the day. I have fed them a little the past couple of days. I feed wheat based food till the temp gets to 70. I can't help it, they're pitiful little beggers.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If your temps are above 55 but your worried they could still drop your best food to feed would be wheat germ. This will help clean the intesinal tract and get the processes back to work as they should, once temps are holding day and night above 60 then it's time to start mixing wheat germ and a 38%-40% protien based diet, if the temps do drop then drop back on the protein food. Remember feed lightly and only once or twice a day at first and gradually increase with the water temps. Once water temps are holding well in the seventies then 40-42% protein diet should be feed if your wanting good growth for the summer. Water temps here are holding steady at around 70-74 and the fish are eagerly feeding but I'm still only feeding every other day trying to get them moved before I crank them up to full spring feedings.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info!!! To be safe I will give them another week or so... just turned a small pump on to get the water turning over a little..... ordered a new filter, should be here soon!!!

Another question.... is it OK to add new fish when the water is this cold? Someone posted on a local koi club they have 20 ish goldfish & 2 10-15in koi they need to get rid of due to removal of their pond. Is it OK to transfer them this weekend/early next week? I figure I need to do slow acclimation like I do with my saltwater fish....

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like they are coming from a cold pond going to a cold pond, unless they have them inside. I would think they should be ok, but make sure they are healthy or keep separate for awhile before you add them to your pond.

Reaction score
We have been planting a lot of plants and flowers the last couple days. When my husband find a worm he throws it into the pond. The koi suck them up like spaghetti. LOL

Reaction score
checked the temp today.... 64 degrees.... filled it up with water enough that I can run my temp pump/filterfall. New filter arrives Monday.... hopefully I can get that up & running Monday or Tuesday in time for the new additions to the pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn warm and every rain they say we are getting misses us. I dread summer if this continues, but it sure is nice for march temps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We haven't had any rain yet either. The pond temp keeps going up. I am feeding once a day, small amounts. Since they are coming from another pond, is there any way you can quarantine them before putting them in your pond?

Ask a Question