When should spawning occur?

Jon Nannen

Pond Newbster
Reaction score
I have 3 Koi whom are at least a year old, and of fairly good size, about 5-7 inches.

I have 4 more koi who are not quite as old, but about the same size.

I haven't seen any of them spawning at all this year, which doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I would like to know if it's too late for them to do so? Also, the water is warm enough, so I would assume conditions are right for it.

Are they not old enough? Or is it maybe by chance I have all males? lol.

Any help is appreciated.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
10-12" is about the norm for koi to start spawning. alot of people never see the spawning...90% happens between 4 am and 8 am. but its doubtful at 5-7" theyre sexually mature enough for spawning. altho you may still see some behavior. koi start spawning when the water warms to about 65*f in the spring.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I saw my koi and gf spawning just a few days ago when I woke up early in the morning. Sometimes I see them do it later, but like koiguy says, I think mostly early in the morning. But they don't have to be 10-12". All my fish are below 7".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Your looking at 10" + my friend so dont worry about them spawning just yet there is plenty of time for that in years to come.
John get your ruler out my friend as weve never heard of them breeding that small :confused:

Dave

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
As you know, in this hobby anything can happen. The more you're into it, the more stuff you don't know happens.
have you seen any babys... goldfish can spawn at 3" sucessfully. 6" koi may go thru the motions but usually cant reproduce. some are in the chase simply to feast on the eggs as well.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
have you seen any babys... goldfish can spawn at 3" sucessfully. 6" koi may go thru the motions but usually cant reproduce. some are in the chase simply to feast on the eggs as well.
There are lots of babies. 99% get eaten.

Ask a Question