When to Change Food?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello, My Goldies are about to run out of the Bag of Flake Food I have for them, and I was wondering when I should start feeding them Sticks? They are about 3'' long so I wasn't to sure if they could handle it and wanted some Experienced Opinions, Thanks! :razz:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just have goldies and I feed all of them the sticks from when they are just hatched to larger. They'll all nibble on the food even if they can't fully get it into their mouths. Even if they don't mine get enough to eat from whatever bugs/worms fall into the pond and algae. I didn't feed my fish for the first several yrs I had them and they did fine and didn't over populate. Any time eggs were laid they got most of them. A few managed to survive each year tho. I've been feeding them Tetra Spring/Fall and Wardley's regular for Summer
xmassmiley22.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Oh, Wow! Ok then, I never knew they were so versatile lol, I have been feeding them the Tetra Flakes, so I guess I will buy the Tetra Fall Sticks then! Thanks for the Quick Reply, One more question: How will the Sticks effect water clarity vs Flakes, The reason I ask is because sometimes I will have a lite foam build up around water flow points (Waterfall/fountain, Etc.) and when I Put the Flakes in the pond, at about 5-10 min the Foam is No more, so I was wondering if the sticks helped water clarity at all? Thanks Again :goldfish:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
sticks are usually more water stable...and less clouding... i stop feeding flakes at 1&1/2" to 2" max. and yes wheatgerm (spring fall) sticks are a good choice now. especially in water under 60*.. stop feeding at 50* if it should drop that low for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok, Thanks Koi Guy, I will get some after work! Right now we have a Tornado Warning here as there have been a few Waterspouts on the Beach and it is supposed to Freeze here tonight getting in the upper 30's (Cold for us lol) so I hope my fishes will be fine! :helm2:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You can also get pond fish pellets if your fish are too small to handle the sticks. Laguna's come in three pellet sizes, the smallest are easily handled by goldfish in the 1 1/2" range.
John

Ask a Question