addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have plenty of veggies growing on the bottom of that big pond!
There's a forest of anacharis down there, if I remember correctly.
Plus, shubbies don't eat as much as koi, I think.
Yep plenty of food. A forest of anacharis and hornwort. And bugs and whatever else ends in the pond.

They are always fat and sassy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I’ve been trying to figure out winter feeding, being a virgin goldfish mumma! I’m in southern England. My biggest goldies are 5-6” with lots of babies from this summer of various sizes. With the most recent frosty mornings they are not interested in food, water temp 7-8degs C, but as the day warms up they then start looking for lunch!! So do I feed or not?? Tried wheat germ but they haven’t gone for that. Confused!!
8 C, if my converter is correct, is 46.4 F.
Most stop feeding at 50 F (10 C).

Some don't feed at all, ever, even in the Summer. I think those with koi have to feed, but goldfish, not so much.

Don't worry, the fish can survive on algae, other plants and bugs.
See addy's posts #12 & #16. She hardly feeds at all.

I'm guessing your fish are sending you a signal that they are slowing down, getting ready for winter.

Mine are not feeding much. I threw some food out one morning over the weekend and by late afternoon some of the food was still floating around. During the Summer, that food would have been gone in minutes.
I stopped feeding after that. They are on their own until Spring.

Do you have any plants in the pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I switch to wheat germ at 50f then quit feeding when water temp gets close to 40f. I do not feed them much when temp is between 40f and 50f.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They are always fat and sassy
like their mamma. The sassy part, I mean!!!

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
lmao glad you said that! I have loss over 18 lbs chasing our new pup, I am his play toy. Now way down on the BMI scale, almost too light!
that's why you NEED to slow down in the summer--so you can be a dog's play toy in the winter when everyone's cooped up inside! Still, I'm sure you'd not change a thing!

Maybe get dear hubby to make you some cinnamon rolls for all lunches next week! That should help!

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
8 C, if my converter is correct, is 46.4 F.
Most stop feeding at 50 F (10 C).

Some don't feed at all, ever, even in the Summer. I think those with koi have to feed, but goldfish, not so much.

Don't worry, the fish can survive on algae, other plants and bugs.
See addy's posts #12 & #16. She hardly feeds at all.

I'm guessing your fish are sending you a signal that they are slowing down, getting ready for winter.

Mine are not feeding much. I threw some food out one morning over the weekend and by late afternoon some of the food was still floating around. During the Summer, that food would have been gone in minutes.
I stopped feeding after that. They are on their own until Spring.

Do you have any plants in the pond?
Thanks for the reassurance- we were so chuffed to have so many babies in the pond’s first year that we are scared of losing them! Yes, we have a number of plants but they are dying back now - I guess they will still graze the root balls….

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for the reassurance- we were so chuffed to have so many babies in the pond’s first year that we are scared of losing them! Yes, we have a number of plants but they are dying back now - I guess they will still graze the root balls….
ya know, when I looked up your word 'chuffed', there were sooooooo many definitions I wondered how you UK folks figure out which you even mean in the moment! I mean, I sorta laughed out loud when I found it can also mean 'breaking wind'...and to associate it with 'churlish' in that you were 'stupid' to have so many babies... :p :p :p

smilie sword twirl.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I sorta laughed out loud when I found it can also mean 'breaking wind'...and to associate it with 'churlish' in that you were 'stupid' to have so many babies... :p :p :p
lol can't always control the babies!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I guess they will still graze the root balls….
I watch the fish snack on algae, roots, hornwort etc all winter. Most of the time they just hang out.

One year, way back in pond beginnings, I figured remove the lilies (had a lot less) put the in the 1000 gallon pond. Before my forest of hornwort and anacharis which now lives in the ponds. When I put the lilies back in the fish went insane cleaning every tiny bit of algae off the plants. I was starving them. After that never cleaned out the pond well before winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I watch the fish snack on algae, roots, hornwort etc all winter. Most of the time they just hang out.

One year, way back in pond beginnings, I figured remove the lilies (had a lot less) put the in the 1000 gallon pond. Before my forest of hornwort and anacharis which now lives in the ponds. When I put the lilies back in the fish went insane cleaning every tiny bit of algae off the plants. I was starving them. After that never cleaned out the pond well before winter.
the beginnings of LAP, if I'm not mistaken...!

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
NO geez, back then I cleaned the lilies every 4-6 weeks groomed off dead leaves, dead flowers, netted the bottom, fed the fish................now just enjoy and am a LAP!
ahhh, so you EARNED your LAP status; kudos! I thought I had such a good origin story though, sigh...

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve been trying to figure out winter feeding, being a virgin goldfish mumma! I’m in southern England. My biggest goldies are 5-6” with lots of babies from this summer of various sizes. With the most recent frosty mornings they are not interested in food, water temp 7-8degs C, but as the day warms up they then start looking for lunch!! So do I feed or not?? Tried wheat germ but they haven’t gone for that. Confused!!
l feed mine on wheat germ socked in glarlic they love it

Ask a Question