Where Did You Get Your Goldfish ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I got 17 cent feeder fish from Petsmart. 4 at first, then 2 more. I bought two sarassas (spelling?) from a pond store and ended up adopting 6 from a friend's pond. There have been some in-pond-parties and now have a bunch of fish kids! I have counted a total of 22 all together. The first resident fish are all around the same size now but one of the sarassas is the heartiest. I call her Pig and she lives up to her name.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you want to get some nice quality goldfish you can should check garden stores that sell pond supplies. If there are not any like that by you then you can check some of the large goldfish breeders like Ozark Fisheries and Black Water Creek to see who is handling their fish. The problem with big box stores it is kind of hit or miss if you are getting healthy fish because A) A lot of their fish are stressed out when they first arrive B) They put healthy fish in with sick fish. The garden shop I buy from won't sell fish for the first few weeks of the spring until all the fish have been successfully quarantined. There are some very reputable on line stores on E-Bay like Next Day Koi if you don't mind paying the shipping and you are okay with not seeing the fish before you buy them. Also if there are any Koi or pond clubs in your area a lot of them have yearly auctions of both Koi and goldfish and will sometimes even give fish to a newbie for free just for showing up!

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Are there any other keepers in south Florida that want 7 decent sized (4") comets for free?
These are healthy and all, just of the long fin, plainish, gold variety. Not nice enough for my new pond by the wifes standards.
I'll be posting a new thread about them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My shubunkins came from a great fish hatchery near Thurmont. They had koi, gold fish, shubbies, fan tails etc. Beautiful fish. The shubbies I bought all have long flowing fins. My "butterfly koi".

If you live near well worth the drive.

http://eatonsgoldfish.com/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Half my fish are from Dandy Orandas auction site. By far his fish are the best. They all did great in my pond and their size/colors are exceptional. My 14" red white comet is from DO and mg 8" oranda is from DO. The oranda has been in my pond 2 years now along with the ranchus.

I have a handful goldfishnet and his are decent. Never an issue but their sizes are not big like DO. They do grow however.... you're getting them young.

I got some from eBay you gotta be careful there....I got some from coast gem USA and their quality is ok..

I have two from next day koi, be careful when buying pearlscale a theirs did not have pearlscale on arrival but they tried and sent me a replacement. My oldest shubunkin is actually from them and it's healthy+pretty.

Finally, my prettiest black opal shubunkins are from black water creek but I noted they don't have as many up this year in pictures.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
IMG_7771.JPG
Some of my Dandy Oranda fish.

Attachments

• IMG_7772.JPG
    IMG_7772.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_7773.JPG
    IMG_7773.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 187
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My shubunkins came from a great fish hatchery near Thurmont. They had koi, gold fish, shubbies, fan tails etc. Beautiful fish. The shubbies I bought all have long flowing fins. My "butterfly koi".
Addy. I have always like your shubunkins. Do you think they ship fish?

Ask a Question