Where do you buy your water plants?

Reaction score
My Koi have eaten every last plant. Now It's time to restock my pond with greenage! Read the thread on the floating ring. Love that. Will start making mine now.

Where is a good place to buy pond plants? I have bought on Ebay before. Just not ever sure of what I am really getting.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Craigs list, local nursery, pond store. Craig's list is the cheapest, find someone purging some plants.

Reaction score
Looked high and low on Craigslist. Not a thing. B) Trying Ebay now. Someone that lives in Tx.

Two Pond places that I know of around here. Few towns away. Maybe I will try them. Would not think it was this hard to find.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What are you looking for? I have some parrots feather i could ship you, it is starting to give up for the season here in the cold, but still looks great.

Reaction score
Anything really. I will take that. Do you have paypal. I will pay you for shipping. Just need plants in there. Hopefully I can keep these from being eaten. Pig Koi I have. Had nice plants till they got big. One day they just started eating everything. Tried everything I knew and then some. Ate them all anyway. gggrrr

Bought a few cheap floaty plants off ebay. See how that goes. Will make floaty holders this week. Crossing fingers here.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i hear ya..never had a plant problem till JULY of this year when my koi wiped out all my lillies. i bet i threw away 100+ pads this summer.

Reaction score
I read that when they are grown they start eating everything. I believe it now. I give them all kinds of food. Watermelon, strawberries ect. Never enough. THey uprooted a hugh plant and ate the roots. It took one summer and all gone. 3yr old plant.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lifeworthliving said:
I read that when they are grown they start eating everything. I believe it now. I give them all kinds of food. Watermelon, strawberries ect. Never enough. THey uprooted a hugh plant and ate the roots. It took one summer and all gone. 3yr old plant.

Potted plants might survive if you net the pot, so they can not reach the roots. I have read of nets you can buy to protect them. Or make your own using plastic fencing.

Enjoy making your plant rings! make sure you use fencing not net, so the koi can't push it up real easy.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Plant rings work great for me and easy to make. Black tubing, a connector, some plastic screen door material and sew it on w/ large needle and fish line. I put a small baseball size rock in the middle so it doesn't float upwards. I have 2 in my pond. One has duckweed and the other has only some Anacharis pond weed in it right now but I will add more stuff eventually. They make a nice safe hiding spot underneath also for the fish to hide from Mr Heron and you can make them any size you like from small to large :

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the info, I was not sure if the door screening would work, but can see it working with a weight in it.

Reaction score
Thank you (insert big hug) I love it. and have two large rolls of sun screen that I used for my screen door. Going by home depot tointe to pick up a reducer. Will grab what ever I need then. Can't wait to have plants again. You guys rock!

So glad to have finally found a place to enjoy my beloved hobbie. Non ponders just don't get it!

Thank you, thank you

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lifeworthliving said:
Thank you (insert big hug) I love it. and have two large rolls of sun screen that I used for my screen door. Going by home depot tointe to pick up a reducer. Will grab what ever I need then. Can't wait to have plants again. You guys rock!

So glad to have finally found a place to enjoy my beloved hobbie. Non ponders just don't get it!

Thank you, thank you

Laughing you are not kidding about that, they see a hole in the ground with water!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It is nice to see real ponds and not pools as much anymore. Real ponds have plants and a natural appearance with lanscaping to frame it.

I never get tired of folks walking into my yard and commenting on how natural it all looks.

Ask a Question