Where do you live and what are your usual weather and environmental hazards?

Where do you live? Choose all that apply, since there will be overlaps.

• Texas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Central US

• High desert US

• Alaska

• Hawaii

• Other (any place in the USA that I didn’t mention)

• Total voters

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wish more people would list the state they are in since it is very important when understanding their posts. Is there no way to encourage this upon registering?
I think we’re doing good to get their zone (if in USA), and at least a country flag. But I agree, state would be good to know, as well as zone.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wish more people would list the state they are in since it is very important when understanding their posts. Is there no way to encourage this upon registering?
Ian could make it mandatory. And I have to agree sometimes I'll start talking about feezing and latter find they are in Texas. Waste of time typing and you all know I love to type

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ian could make it mandatory. And I have to agree sometimes I'll start talking about feezing and latter find they are in Texas. Waste of time typing and you all know I love to type
YEPPPPPPPP DOoooooOO WEEEE EVERRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrr :p

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And I have to agree sometimes I'll start talking about feezing and latter find they are in Texas. Waste of time typing and you all know I love to type
A few years back, there was some dude on here — and honestly, he sounded like a troll, but he was asking good questions. Until he started talking about winterizing his pond to “protect it from freezing solid and killing his fish.” Turns out….he was supposedly from somewhere in southern Alabama. When I mentioned where I live and that we don’t EVER have winters where water freezes solid…..poof, he disappeared. Troll.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in the Missouri Bootheel, very close to Tennessee and Arkansas. The summers are almost as humid as Florida when we lived there. I am an Army brat so I've lived in a few states and Germany. So if you see me comment on a state I'm not trying to be a know it all or someone whose been there done that lol.
The area I am in used to be swamps years ago, which is pretty weird never thought about swamps in Missouri! The mosquitoes are horrendous almost as bad as Ocoee or Kissimmee Florida. I just wish I had the perks of Florida year round weather, I would have a jungle in my yard lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Northeast like @GBBUDD , they predicted drought, he got rain, cool, we got drought! I have mowed maybe 4 times this summer,mainly to cut back weeds. used about 7 gallons of gas.

Grass is brown, wild flowers struggling to live, trees dropping leaves early, on and on.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 Is this having an effect on the bees and their honey? Our area sounds like yours right now, but I’m finally starting to see more pollinators as the season goes on — still greatly reduced.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I only mowed once this year as so dry and all is crispy and brown. My hubby does mow the weeds once in awhile as nothing stops those things! I did notice the rabbits sure love the dandelions. See them eating them like a little kid eats spaghetti, cuts them off and down it goes to the tummy from stem to blossom :smuggrin:

bunny eats.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We're in the very south west corner of Ohio along the Ohio River. Our summers are quite humid. We've had long spells without rain, but not prolonged. Our winters seem milder then when I moved here in 1981.

I worry about water quality, things getting dumped into our water source , the Ohio River.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 Is this having an effect on the bees and their honey? Our area sounds like yours right now, but I’m finally starting to see more pollinators as the season goes on — still greatly reduced.
We sold our bees last year, if I still had them we would have been feeding them since early July. Ow they would starve. Wild bees don't get their honey removed. Our hives did.

Until fall flowers there is minimal food out there.
We usually fed them from July until the next year, end of March, sometimes April.

Easily went though 600-900 lbs of sugar, if not more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
We sold our bees last year, if I still had them we would have been feeding them since early July. Ow they would starve. Wild bees don't get their honey removed. Our hives did.

Until fall flowers there is minimal food out there.
We usually fed them from July until the next year, end of March, sometimes April.

Easily went though 600-900 lbs of sugar, if not more.
You didn't leave them with one super with honey in it at harvest? We allways left our bees with a super of honey, or at least several frames full, to hold them over for a while. (depending on weather, and flowering)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Here lately it's been 100 degrees and 100% humidity. typical for this area in the summer. I've had to cut grass not less than once a week, due to rain. And there has so far been two cuttings of hay. May get a third before cold weather.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
British Columbia Canada
Forest fires!! This year is the worst on record. It affects my small stock tank pond. Any time there is smoke, ash is falling in your pond, whether you can see it or not. I usually lift my submerged pump every 2 weeks and rinse the foam part in pond water. It always needs it. When it got bad so solid pieces were falling from the sky I cleaned more often. Also clipped a length of vinyl screen over the top and added a couple of large foam aquarium filters. Overkill? Maybe, but the fish flock to the extra filters. Like all divas they enjoy a nice bubble bath.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Midwest here - northern IL to be exact. We have very few environmental / weather concerns compared to other parts of the country / world. A big snowstorm now and again, a tornado may blow through once every few decades, a few stretches of 90 plus degrees, a bit of flooding when we get heavy rains. Otherwise we live a pretty stress-free weather life. Our biggest challenge is drought I suppose, but luckily we have the ability to water. The farmers feel that pain far more than the rest of us.

Ask a Question