Where do you live and what are your usual weather and environmental hazards?

Where do you live? Choose all that apply, since there will be overlaps.

• Texas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Central US

• High desert US

• Alaska

• Hawaii

• Other (any place in the USA that I didn’t mention)

• Total voters

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hoping everyone is staying safe, wherever you live!

I have been following @rubyduby ’s thread about the hurricane, and it occurred to me that (other than going through each member profile) I don’t have a complete grasp on who lives where. Each part of the USA (and every part of the world) has its own unique weather, and environmental hazards…..and right now (2023), is proving that it doesn’t matter WHERE you live….it can happen to you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hoping everyone is staying safe, wherever you live!

I have been following @rubyduby ’s thread about the hurricane, and it occurred to me that (other than going through each member profile) I don’t have a complete grasp on who lives where. Each part of the USA (and every part of the world) has its own unique weather, and environmental hazards…..and right now (2023), is proving that it doesn’t matter WHERE you live….it can happen to you.
Nice to see the variation of place for the members. You may want to put Northeast on the list.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
and environmental hazards

Honestly, we don't have much to worry about here in southeastern Wisconsin - other than pollution of course. We're obviously clear of hurricanes and earthquakes. Our tornadoes are typically weak. Occasional blizzards, but again, not usually too terrible. The biggest issue we've been dealing with more and more is drought. We just had some good rain recently, but we see drought conditions a lot more than we used to. I remember growing up and playing outside in the summer - the grass would usually be green and soft. Now days everybody's lawns are crunchy and brown throughout summer. Thankfully, we don't have to worry about a lack of water the way they do in the southwest.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm in PNW (Washington state west side of the mountains) We get earthquakes now and then, waiting for the so called big one! Not much snow on the west side and not much freezing either. Not much hard rain but a lot of drizzle mostly that occurs any time of the year. Not much heat either. Once in awhile we get a few hot days and this Summer was more than normal for hot dry days. Can get fires in the mountainous/hilly treed areas that get struck by lightning and then lots of smoke to breath. Rivers can flood somewhat due to melting snow in the mountains in Spring and occasional long heavy rainfall. No poisonous snakes or bugs on the west side. Too cold for them, yay! Cougar, bear, deer, coyotes, raccoons, Heron and lots of other critters too numerous to mention.
That is Mount Rainier on the plate below and they don't call us the Evergreen State for nothing :smuggrin:
Wa..jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer @j.w I’m in the NW corner of Louisiana…..technically a gulf coast state but we usually only get rain from the hurricanes — a little wind, but not bad. This summer has been brutal! We, too, are in a drought and believe it or not, the entire state is under burn bans and ”red flag” warnings😳 — yes, Louisiana! There have been some scattered fires south of us, but they were quickly contained. Our humidity is making the 3-digits temps horrible. We’re used to the humidity, but not like this. Usually, tornadoes are our only natural disaster, and we’ve been lucky so far. No earthquakes or volcanoes here (Mt. Rainier is beautiful! We skied on Mt. Hood this spring).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm in the north east we get it all . Some years we get a couple twisters others a couple hurricanes then nothing for ten years or maybe a year between .

They said this summer was going to be a drought when in reality it was the wettest and coolest I can remember in 50 years.. sitting at my pond now it's 75 light breeze puffy clouds . A full cistern Perfect!!!!!! Oh and more earth quakes than anywhere in the USA. We just have ity bity quakes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Gulf Coast / near Tampa, Florida here. We've been in a drought this year (good news/ bad news: we may have just caught up on precipitation from Hurricane Idalia), with somewhat above average temperatures this summer (it's even more steamy humid than usual). Is this cyclical? Probably. I'm more concerned about the lower ground water levels in the U.S. It takes a lot of time to recharge ground water.
My environmental hazard concerns, both here in FL and up the east US Coast are invasive species such as water hyacinth (FL) and spotted lantern flies (Maryland and PA, etc), and new-ish plant diseases such as citrus greening ("will my just-planted Meyer lemon survive?").
That all being said, I was trained as a geologist and fall back into looking at the very, very long run of history. The world changes and the world adapts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I am in Sarasota, Florida and I second everything that SarahT said since we are close in proximity.....I have lived here for three years now and so far I have not lost a plant to hurricanes...My pond is under a Live Oak Tree so a lot of leaves and small branches fall during the extreme winds that accompany storms but nothing that can't be cleaned up in a day....We have been very lucky since we have never had a direct hit (knock on wood!) Still trying to get used to the Summer heat but the hottest I ever was when SAR training in Boulder Colorado for two weeks years ago...it was over 100 degrees for days....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I wish more people would list the state they are in since it is very important when understanding their posts. Is there no way to encourage this upon registering?
Wish they would too as we always end up having to ask them to divulge it eventually to be able to help them better.

Ask a Question