Where they come from?

Reaction score
1. Where did butterfly koi come from? There are some people who consider butterfly koi to not be true koi, so they must have had some kind of separate beginning. Is there some kind of backstory to them?

2. Do you think that it takes butterfly koi a little longer to grow than regular koi? In my experience, this seems to be the case. I have regular koi that were the same size as the butterfly fingerlings when I put them all in there. The regular koi seem to be about another 1/3 larger than the butterfly. Not in length, of course. But if body size minus the fins.

Reaction score
1. Where did butterfly koi come from? There are some people who consider butterfly koi to not be true koi, so they must have had some kind of separate beginning. Is there some kind of backstory to them?

2. Do you think that it takes butterfly koi a little longer to grow than regular koi? In my experience, this seems to be the case. I have regular koi that were the same size as the butterfly fingerlings when I put them all in there. The regular koi seem to be about another 1/3 larger than the butterfly. Not in length, of course. But if body size minus the fins.

Reaction score
Believe it or not, butterfly koi are a recent phenomena of the 1990's started at the Blue Ridge Koi Farm in NC. You can check out their website for more info.

We have a number of old threads on butterfly vs. standard fin koi that you can search on.

There are many that believe that long fin koi (aka butterfly), are not even true koi at all. Purists in the koi hobby even turn their noses askew at them. They are also not allowed to be entered into any koi events that are judged. Though there are koi clubs that are now creating special categories just for butterfly because they have become so popular. The Japanese scoff at long fins, but Americans adore them.

Lots of theories abound about butterfly. For example, that they are easier to care for than standard koi and plagued by less diseases. I have heard the theory that they don't grow as fast, too. Others say that they are friendlier, etc.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have one butterfy that is black on top and white on the bottom. I never see it unless I am really paying attention when I feed the koi.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have one butterfy that is black on top and white on the bottom. I never see it unless I am really paying attention when I feed the koi.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrDave said:

Can you take a picture? Would be neat to see.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrDave said:

Can you take a picture? Would be neat to see.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
I've got two butterfly kio....one is white and yellow the other a burned yellow cool colors.There mouths don't sit like the japan models,aand I think the fins make it pretty.Hardy up here for outdoors.Mine have grown twice there size since last yr.I'll try and shoot a pic

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
I've got two butterfly kio....one is white and yellow the other a burned yellow cool colors.There mouths don't sit like the japan models,aand I think the fins make it pretty.Hardy up here for outdoors.Mine have grown twice there size since last yr.I'll try and shoot a pic

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
orange and white butterfly and the burned yellow butterfly.about six or seven inches long now.

Attachments

• butterflykoi.jpg
    butterflykoi.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 291
  • butterflykoi (3).jpg
    butterflykoi (3).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 348
  • butterflykoi (4).jpg
    butterflykoi (4).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 269

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
orange and white butterfly and the burned yellow butterfly.about six or seven inches long now.

Reaction score
It seems that the purists are right, butterfly koi are not actually koi at all. But a koi/indonesian long finned carp hybrid. You can't really call a hybrid species by the name of another species, cause they are not that species. They are a hybrid. Makes sense I guess.

I have noticed that my butterfly koi grow more slowly than my regular koi. It just seems to me like they take longer to get as big. And to me, they appear more skittish. The 3 butterfly that I own won't eat out of my hand, and all the koi and goldfish climb all over each other to do it. Perhaps it could be their wild blood?

It also makes sense that the new dose of wild genes would help with making them less disease prone. Kind of like a mutt dog.

Reaction score
It seems that the purists are right, butterfly koi are not actually koi at all. But a koi/indonesian long finned carp hybrid. You can't really call a hybrid species by the name of another species, cause they are not that species. They are a hybrid. Makes sense I guess.

I have noticed that my butterfly koi grow more slowly than my regular koi. It just seems to me like they take longer to get as big. And to me, they appear more skittish. The 3 butterfly that I own won't eat out of my hand, and all the koi and goldfish climb all over each other to do it. Perhaps it could be their wild blood?

It also makes sense that the new dose of wild genes would help with making them less disease prone. Kind of like a mutt dog.

Ask a Question