Where to buy clear pond netting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Uhhh, that came out wrong...your pond was so lovely is why I perused your pics...not because I was thought you were really lying...oh my...never mind...Im making it sound worse and worse arent I?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol ^^ snooping is allowed!

I hung the wide weave net up high above the pond, stops the heron, not real obtrusive to the eye, stops the herons, does not interfere with any of the other birds, frogs, critters that visit the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Cas,

You might be right that black netting might look ok. At this point, I think I will stay with fishing lines with no netting. I already provided more hiding place for the fish and bought a colorful wind spinner, read that this will work to scare away heron.

I am not sure how transparent the clear netting will be. Below is a picture of my pond with black net over top and clear fishing line on the one side. What I see is the clear fishing line more than the black net.View attachment 90807

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My herons, with a nearby rookery, never gave up. They learned to dive through the fishing line, jump over the fishing line fence. Never stopped until I hung the wide weave net over the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yea, there are some smart and persisted ones. Saw one video on youtube, the heron dove under the fishing lines and ignored being sprayed by the motion sensing scarecrow and finished eating all fish in the pond, the owner was devastated.

My herons, with a nearby rookery, never gave up. They learned to dive through the fishing line, jump over the fishing line fence. Never stopped until I hung the wide weave net over the pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yea, there are some smart and persisted ones. Saw one video on youtube, the heron dove under the fishing lines and ignored being sprayed by the motion sensing scarecrow and finished eating all fish in the pond, the owner was devastated.

Yup! Depends on how hungry they are.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I used black netting over the pond last fall to keep the leaves out. We have a lot of trees on our property, and all it takes is one good windy day and it seems like every leaf on every tree ends up in the pond. It worked well and really did not look bad at all. The only drawback was that a couple small garter snakes got stuck in the netting during the month we had it over the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I used black netting over the pond last fall to keep the leaves out. We have a lot of trees on our property, and all it takes is one good windy day and it seems like every leaf on every tree ends up in the pond. It worked well and really did not look bad at all. The only drawback was that a couple small garter snakes got stuck in the netting during the month we had it over the pond.
Yah, seems to me, if you net your pond, you have to check it daily to make sure you dont kill innocent wildlife.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Speaking with my neighbor, appparently her son is a builder of Koi ponds up in OR on his property and she tells me hes been plagued by Osprey feeding on his Koi and hes trying to deal with that! Geez!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yah, seems to me, if you net your pond, you have to check it daily to make sure you dont kill innocent wildlife.
That is why i used gill fishing net, with openings that are 4 inches wide. Nothing has gotten trapped and it stops the heron.

Ask a Question