where to buy

Reaction score
to be sure the Koi and Shubies get along yes? if not i can keep the separate, got 3 ponds to choose from. (assuming the little buggers dont flop down the falls like i had a few do)

well local wally world had almost no fish.. off to Petsmart Sun after Church as its in town (about 25 monutes away).
yeah i am not looking for high end fish at this point. some of the Koi on ebay shocked me $100 plus..

Reaction score
well Petsmart turned out to be ok but not that cheap. i got 5 very small shubbies (about 2") for $2.95 each put them in the top pond and they disapeared (water is very clear i can see the print on the EDPM) ther is some muck on the bottom i think they are hidding in it.

grabed 7 Koi about 4"-5" @ about $8 each i can see most of those in the middle pond. all in all unless i am looking for special Koi it seemed better than getting them shipped and for the most part as cheap or cheaper.

thanks for the tip i would have never thought to go there.

now if my plants would just get here..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That was not really a bad price and during the summer they have sales on fish also.I googled plants and found a few here and love how cheap they were and some of the plants in petsmart not only work great in fish tanks but also in ponds .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I won't buy from wally world here, they always have dead fish in the tank. Petsmart, they appear to be healthy, never see dead fish in the tanks like wally world. Glad you found some, ours have always been 2.29 for the shubbies, no matter the size.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
thanks guys,
Sissy i am in northern KY almost Cincinnati. (Alexandria to be exact) nothing around here i could find. (other than the place i sure wont buy fish from or plants...)
funny so i go into this place who is also supposed to build ponds and asked about weirs they had no clue.. of course i had to reply to the redneck "i thought you built ponds"!
in their defense they do have lots of nice plants (in ground kind)

Addy thanks! looks good. now to find decent fish.. you would think in this forum there would be 1-2 peeps who sold fish.
shocked at how much a good 6" fish costs on ebay ouch..

Scott I am only about 15 minutes from you. I always buy my water hyacinth and water lettuce from reading feed and seed in reading Ohio, it is about 15 minutes north of cincinnati in reading ohio. I bought my koi from Jones fishery/hatchery in Newtown. They have all different types of fish and sell regular fish as well like bass, bluegill,etc. They also have plants, are a bit expensive but what they do have is nice stuff. I bought my goldfish from petsmart. There is a local pet store off of Turfway that I saw was selling water lettuce and hyacinth just last week. It is called world of pets I think.

Reaction score
Tmann,
yeah you are close.. i used to live in Burlington before i bought out here (had to get away from that traffic on 18..)
rocking! where were you a week ago... my plants have still not arrived and i ordered them a week ago.. no email about my order shipping either..

Reaction score
Amazon.com is the last place I got Hyacinth, good price, haven't showed up yet, so not sure about the quality. It wasn't actually amazon, it was through some wholesaler of course, but Amazon was the website I bought them on.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Tmann,
yeah you are close.. i used to live in Burlington before i bought out here (had to get away from that traffic on 18..)
rocking! where were you a week ago... my plants have still not arrived and i ordered them a week ago.. no email about my order shipping either..

I was on a business trip last week and missed a lot of posts its hard to read them off your phone. If you go to reading garden center I must warn you that it looks like a cluster but they have some good prices and I only buy about 2 lettuce and hyacinth from him and have never had a problem, they always grow really well. They also have perennials for good prices and some unique ones as well. I have some extra elephant ears that I did not plant this year as well as some catails that I could give you if interested.

Reaction score
Sometimes you can find baby lilies and such at pet stores. I have bought a lily (that was nice till the koi ate it) for $12 at Petsmart. They aren't full sized or blooming but they get there quick!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I recently ordered a 6-pack of water lilies off Amazon for $50. Much better than the $15-$25 that everyone else is selling them for. The plants I got came in very good condition and are already sending up new leaves, and the package contained a variety of different colored flowers. I can't wait to see the pond in full bloom next year with all the new colors!

All of the local nurseries have been selling hyacinths and water lettuce for around $5 each. I don't know why anyone thinks these plants are worth that much, but it seems to be the going rate. However last year I discovered a nursery in a small nearby town - only about a 15 minute drive for me - which carries both for $2.50 each. Half the price, and every bit as healthy as what everyone else is selling. They have a very limited stock, and only a small selection of other pond plants, but the prices are fantastic, and apparently not too many other people know about this place. If you ask enough people, maybe someone will point you to a similar nursery in your area where you can get better prices...

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I only paid $2.50 each for water lettuce and hyacinth. Agree they aren't worth more than that, but I buy 2 of each and let them multiply in a week or two then before you know it I am throwing the extras in the composter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Why don't you offer them for free tmann ,when you get overstocked I do and be surprised how many people respond to free pond plants .I offered 6 free lily tubers this year if they picked them up .Put the in the piedmont shopper here and can post free ad with them if the item is free and they were gone in one day to 4 different people .

Reaction score
The hyacinths from amazon just showed up, they are amazing. Super fresh, great roots, some of them are enormous as well. No complaints about that at all.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
For Koi I have used ebay and NextdayKoi several times. No complaints. I did recieve one fish that was almost dead when it arrived. i contacted them they credited me for it and it still survived. Other than that one fish I have been 100% happy with them. they have very reasonable shipping compared to most online shipping. They will ship the whole order with one $35 shipping cost if you buy one or 20, same cost. and you can get some really nice standard and butterfly koi from them. But they rarely sale much for any of the goldfish, although they do have a few super looking ranchu lion heads on there right now and I'm bidding on two of them. Good luck!

Ask a Question