Where to order pond plants from?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
Where do you buy your pond plants in the spring? Mainly floaters? My local place MAYBE gets some in around June 30th here in Detroit, MI area. I’m considering finding a place to have them shipped. Or do you not recommend ordering on line?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not far from you. Where have you looked locally? Barson's in Westland usually has some. I haven't had much luck other places. Someone suggested I check aquarium stores. Best luck I had was asking on a local FB gardening group and someone had extra water lettuce and hyacinth I got for free. Online I have ordered from Trickers with mixed results. Some thrived, some died.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've gotten a few from Etsy and Ebay, just have to read the descriptions carefully. Locally we have a nursery with a decent selection of aquatics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
I'm not far from you. Where have you looked locally? Barson's in Westland usually has some. I haven't had much luck other places. Someone suggested I check aquarium stores. Best luck I had was asking on a local FB gardening group and someone had extra water lettuce and hyacinth I got for free. Online I have ordered from Trickers with mixed results. Some thrived, some died.
Thanks for your reply. To get them free means you got them later in the year? I went last year to Barson's and was not impressed of what they had. I guess it was a bad year in Florida for floaters and other plants. Bad weather I was told. I ended up AGAIN back at Ray Wiegand's Nursery on Romeo Plank Rd. but again had to wait until end of June. Expensive for maybe 10/12 weeks of plants for my pond. I live in Royal Oak. I'll consider to travel a couple of hours for a good place to get them earlier.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
regardless where you get your plants from and i am doing thing more stringently, is to dip the plants in a potassium pergonite bath and also checking them over extremely well looking for hitch hickers like snails and leaches

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess I didn't look at pond plants last year at Barson's. I gave up my little pond for a pondless waterfall, so I no longer need floaters. I'll ask around a couple people I know and see if they have suggestions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't cross off floaters so fast hyacinths do well in any water like at the top of the falls. they get tall and tight They look great

Ask a Question