which food to start with

Reaction score
when i eventually get some fish for my pond i will be starting off with small 2" - 3" fish, was looking at the pond food sticks/pellets and thaught they looked a bit big !so should i start with flake food or will the sticks/pellets be ok ??

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have found that sticks work for me .you can break them in half with your fingers if they seem to big .But my fish only will eat the tetra kind .I make sure to only buy floating food as the other food just sinks to the bottom and you can't tell if they eat it .The floating at least you can see it floating around and what they don't eat you can just scoop it out .I guess the kind that sinks they may get, but read about that it could cause problems with the water quality .But thats what I like not sure it's right but have had luck with it .My fish love fruit and veggies too .Give them a piece of watermellon and the fights on .They love blueberries and strawberries too

Reaction score
yeah ive seen a guy feed his fish unsalted boiled rice as a treat and the fish loved it ! didnt know about fruit tho ! thanks sissy, never thaught i could break the sticks up !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Whatever you feed them be sure to remove uneaten food ad do water test for the new pond until your filters kick in.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they like a variety of foods at least mine do and I even mash the food up for the babies too .I tried several varieties of food but you are not supposed to leave uneaten food in the pond .I use tetra because thats seems to be the only one my fish like and they have a vibrance kind I make sure to give them treat food that has extra vitamin c because of them being koi .The goldfish I have love the koi food also

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My goldfish love that watermelon something awful :rolleyes:
I'll have to try some other treats and see how they like them too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
something even funny also is blueberries .I always buy mine koi treats since on pet mountain they are less than 3 dollars a bag .Mine love cantelope and honeydew .They like things like lettuce you throw whole leaf in so it floats and they will chase it around the pond .

Reaction score
Take a look for the Koi food in pellet size 3/32". Even small Koi have mouths that can open up to eat it. Once my baby koi get to 2" plus they can eat this size.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
you can still feed goldfish koi food i do ..... and as RSfish said it comes in three different sizes ... you should also start off with wheatgerm food till water warms up more ...oh and as a treat that is very good for goldfish peas they love them :0)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Reaction score
my local petstore sells frozen bloodworm also, will try them when the time comes, shouldnt be far off now my pond water is between 10C - 12C (thats 50F - 53F) during the day and dropping to 8C (46F) at night,

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
they will love the bloodworms......you can get them cheaper in bulk, freeze dried, on ebay....freeze drying also ensures a disease and bacteria free product!!

Ask a Question