JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JB How much bigger are you making your pond?

Current pond liner was 14' x 10', pond was about 7.5' x 4'
The new pond liner is 20' x 15', pond will be around 11' x 6'.
it will also be over half a foot deeper, and the deep area will be larger, so I'd have to imagine I'm doubling the gallon amount, though I haven't done the math yet (Edit, I did the math, around 900-950g, more than double my current 400g). I'm also taking out my stream and adding a bog in its place. Here's a graphic of my current pond (top) and the rough idea of the new pond (bottom).
DSCN4511.jpg

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can go on places like pondliner .com put in your size of pond it will give you gallons of water

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
funny thing about those sights is that i went on 4 of them and all of them gave me different gallons for my pond .All of them were the same size and same depth and not sure why .

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
funny thing about those sights is that i went on 4 of them and all of them gave me different gallons for my pond .All of them were the same size and same depth and not sure why .

I had the same thing. Three sites, three different answers, but all of them in the area of 875 and 975. I'll probably just categorize it as a 900g pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Don't understand that, last one i did was 3983 gallons and another was 2,357 gallons and another 3,142.

Reaction score
Dave pointed out to me how important it is to know your actual gallons, if you ever have to treat the pond. He suggested using some sort of gallon counter when you fill the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave pointed out to me how important it is to know your actual gallons, if you ever have to treat the pond. He suggested using some sort of gallon counter when you fill the pond.
A water meter priscilla ,, if you cant work out the pond volume using a watr meter to measure the water in gives you the exact amount going into your pond, which when it comes down to treatments can be vitally important so as your not over dosing or under dosing the pond both can prove fatal yet in differing ways :(

Dave ;)

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did use a gallon counter but since all this rain we have gotten it is not the same now .I was going to keep the water at least 10 inches from the top and now it is about 3 inches from the top .

Reaction score
Country
United States
(Edit: The decision has been made. Went with the Firestone liner)

So I've decided to get a new pond liner and its going to be one of these. Which one is better, or does it matter? Both are EPDM 45 mil. The top one is Life Guard the bottom is Firestone.

Life Guard Liner

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-x-20-45mil-EPDM-Koi-Pond-Liner-Underlayment-Combo-/370604258156?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5649bc336c
Firestone Liner
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Firestone-45-Mil-EPDM-Pond-Liner-Pro-8oz-Underlayment-Kit-15-x-20-/380403500428?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5891d0c58c

Check them out, just bought the 60mil underlayment combo.

Ask a Question