Which predator will it be?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Paw prints like these? If so, you have a raccoon. This one was checking out the hole we dug for my lower pond the very night it was dug.

Attachments

• Raccoon Tracks.jpg
    Raccoon Tracks.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 216

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
The sand prints arent great but one of the smaller ones definately has five claws and is about 14cms by 10cm. I have taken photographs of them which unfortunately dont show them up so well due to my only being able to operate the camera on automatic settings which were too bright. I will try and figure out later tonight how to put one on here for any opinions.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you have a photo editing program, use the auto adjust contrast and color feature to improve your photo. The re-size it to 800 wide and it will be small enough to upload.

Reaction score
this is a bit out of focus but probably the one which shows the best outline.

Dont know what the June date is? probably the last time I used the camera. Will have to work out how to sort that now!

Attachments

• June 13th 2010 227.jpg
    June 13th 2010 227.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 275
Reaction score
dogs, cats, foxes, badgers, otters, mink, stoat , weasel.
The feet are too big for cats and dogs only have four toes (plus one higher up that doesnt touch the ground called a dew claw). I have looked up foxes and apparently they are the same.
There are definately five digits on two of the paw marks.

We think they are too big for mink and since otter have been seen on the lane which is only about 20feet from the pond they are the suspects so far.

One of the prints looks as though there is a 'heel' mark at the back but there is also another claw mark so we wonder if it is actually another print on top.
I dont have any editing stuff on my computer (or at least I cant find it if I do, and its frustrating not being able to show you the indentation of the pads. I took loads of pics but they just dont show it up).

There isnt a problem with stray dogs and there are no reports of bins being ransacked etc.though some eggs and hens have gone due to foxes.
My stepdad is going to put the sand trays out again so if any better prints come I will try and get a pal with a proper camera to picture them.
Also dad says that he has seen poo previously in the garden that he thought was hedgehog poo but may have been otter.
We have laughed today (aside the sadness of the devastation caused) at us all looking at pictures of poo!!!! and paw prints.
It seems the way to tell with poo is to sniff it (between mink and otter) but dad is not very keen!!!!!

Funny how you get attached so quickly to your fish, when my parents were looking at ours they were talking about the different markings their fish had etc and it was sad.

We know we have an otter in the field behind us. We have high wooden fencing which it wouldnt be able to get through but we are going round the back garden bit by bit packing the bottom of the fence.
Goodness me, I thought fish keeping was meant to relax and lower the blood pressure!

Ask a Question