Which predator will it be?

Reaction score
so... the saga continues, sand trays have been left out every night and the culprit has not for few nights , returned.
Parents are tentatively considering re stocking the pond.
They are going to net the pond each night (do otters attack in the day?) but I am worried that the otter will chew through any netting.

Anyway, without wanting this to look like a blog ( ha, my kids told me that) I will keep you updated.
I am so hoping it goes okay for the new fish as it upset my mam last time.

interesting talking to pals / work colleagues... their views on fish as pets differ from their views on dogs, cats etc.

We as a family have fished and have swiftly tapped the heads of catch.
Yet I have asked on here for a humane way to kill a fish of mine who was poorly.
I admit, differing standards between pets and fish caught to eat. Hmmm... moral debate began between hubby and me.

Reaction score
so... the saga continues, sand trays have been left out every night and the culprit has not for few nights , returned.
Parents are tentatively considering re stocking the pond.
They are going to net the pond each night (do otters attack in the day?) but I am worried that the otter will chew through any netting.

Anyway, without wanting this to look like a blog ( ha, my kids told me that) I will keep you updated.
I am so hoping it goes okay for the new fish as it upset my mam last time.

interesting talking to pals / work colleagues... their views on fish as pets differ from their views on dogs, cats etc.

We as a family have fished and have swiftly tapped the heads of catch.
Yet I have asked on here for a humane way to kill a fish of mine who was poorly.
I admit, differing standards between pets and fish caught to eat. Hmmm... moral debate began between hubby and me.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
This may sound crazy,but this does work!
Buy predator urine or use your own! It will keep most small land animals afar.

your question was.........

Would a heron leave the fish head on a rock at the side of the pond? No,most of the time that is a otter,or raccoon, as they won't eat the heads of fish.......... animal channel rules!

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
This may sound crazy,but this does work!
Buy predator urine or use your own! It will keep most small land animals afar.

your question was.........

Would a heron leave the fish head on a rock at the side of the pond? No,most of the time that is a otter,or raccoon, as they won't eat the heads of fish.......... animal channel rules!

Reaction score
the otters have not returned for few days now but mam says they have some lovely small bird and small animal prints in the sand trays.
They are waiting a little longer before restocking but mam says it is interesting to see just who is visiting the pond.
Might be an idea for those with children to put sand trays around your ponds to see who is attracted to yours!

Reaction score
the otters have not returned for few days now but mam says they have some lovely small bird and small animal prints in the sand trays.
They are waiting a little longer before restocking but mam says it is interesting to see just who is visiting the pond.
Might be an idea for those with children to put sand trays around your ponds to see who is attracted to yours!

Ask a Question