WHISKEYS NEW POND PROJECT

Reaction score
Looks good Whiskey. That is gona be one heck of a viewing window, those fish are gona be able to watch your every move. ;)

Maybe next pond I have the guts to try something like that. Actually my biggest concern with my current pond was our cold climate. The cold would migrate through the glass and I could easily get 7" of ice forming on the glass, somehow that doesn't seem like it would be good.

Looking forward to seeing you fill yours with water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It looks Fantastic, Whiskey! You are a patient man, making sure everything cures perfectly, is cut perfectly, fits perfectly, and now we will wait for 7 days to see the water go in. Oh, and please take pics of where your fish have been living since this project began. I'd love to see that set up as well! They will be jumping for joy (hopefully not out of their new digs though) when they get into the new pond!

Reaction score
Just read through the pages. Great job!
Lots of detail, patience and perseverance, whiskey!

Can't wait to see the finished result ;)

That window idea is awesome!

Great post & beam canopy shade.

Did you get any references from an engineer or glazing company as to what type of glass to use/order? thickness? etc. as that's holding back a lot of pressure - as you most likely know better than I do ;) - so I'm a bit curious to the glazing spec.

Also, I take it you hit some obstacles to go 3ft deep and 3 ft up? At the same time you have to draw the line somewhere, or it'll never get built and/or bankrupt you in materials ;)

30 years or so ago, the 5-6ft deep pond at my parents house got a thin coat of render on the blockwork and then a few coats of some type of ($$$$) sealer suitable to seal I guess pretty much anything to a level that it is safe to hold drinking water. I always thought if were to go that route with a big pond, I might inquire with a pool construction company to spray the interior block & concrete work with gunnite/... , etc rather than going the liner route.

Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see it completed.

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
Icerabbit

Had to have a stucture......... above ground.... to make height for....... viewing window....[hope this point is clear]

thank you for your kind comments

whiskey

Reaction score
Well yes, of course you need some type of a structure to install the window in. Not necessarily above grade ;) One could do it partially below or entirely below grade like a basement window and build a niche with a recessed sitting bench out in front of it. ;) :p Concrete/block work below grade wouldn't have prohibited adding a window.

Anyhow I must have skimmed over the part discussing the design change from the original 3ft below & 3ft above grade. But, it'll look great. Like I said, can't wait to see the finished result.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes, Whiskey, we are all anxiously awaiting the finished produce, and WATER!!! And pics of your fish in their temporary digs .... Oh, yeah, weekend before water, so stuff has time to cure nice and hard and solid! Ok ... we shall wait and little longer. I can't wait to see the waterwheel turning again!

whiskey

Reaction score
Window now set .....so mastic liner to window today...
turned out harder than first thought, but got it flat and patched [ reason: corners gathered up, had to cutting ,laying one behind the other, sealing and laying a patch completely over cut out section........time will tell]
pre cut around skimmer in readyness for water.....and left it to dry over night :fingersx:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm sure it will hold water, Whiskey, you are a perfectionist and it will be perfect! Weekend is almost here, and we are all anxious (as you are I'm sure) to see water in your pond and fish through the window, and I especially want to see the water wheel in motion again.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm excited to see it all in action. Wish you could make a video of it all whiskey!

whiskey

Reaction score
EARLY PHOTOS............SO FAR ...SO GOOD .........YIPPY :surfing: JOHN THE WATER FLAT...MUST HAVE IRONED IT :LOL:

Attachments

• DSC01390.JPG
    DSC01390.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC01391.JPG
    DSC01391.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC01394.JPG
    DSC01394.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC01396.JPG
    DSC01396.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC01397.JPG
    DSC01397.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC01400.JPG
    DSC01400.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC01401.JPG
    DSC01401.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 268
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh my oh my ... this is sooo exciting! The culmination of all of your hard work these last months and months, and now to see the water coming in slowly! Glad your water ban has been lifted .... or assume it has! We sure won't tell if it hasn't! Keep posting pics, Whiskey, and you MUST find someone with a video if you don't have one, to take a video once it has been completed and all is running and working, and the fish are in there turning summersaults! What an accomplishment for you, ... and your family! We've enjoyed the "ride", and continue to enjoy it through total completion.

whiskey

Reaction score
total drain down due to a weep age and i mean a weepage, about a teaspoon in 2 minutes, so drain down and check seals, before progressing any further...........but it looking good but a bit disheartened.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh darn whiskey but it all looked so nice filling up in the photos. You will get the bugs worked out and fix the little leaks so don't feel too bad about it. You want it to be right before you go on. Where was the seepage coming from?

Ask a Question