WHISKEYS NEW POND PROJECT

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
Runs its self now, just 10% water changes to do weekly/tests plus foam filters cleaning as required.

Rending and water wheel bay to finish when weather warm and dry, then its buy four larger koi to cruise around window :goldfish: with a drink or two. :beerchug:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I can just picture a 3' koi with a glass of Guinness clasped in it's pectorals!!! :biggrin:
John

whiskey

Reaction score
Hi all its been awhile since i last posted......thanks haro for the pm...nice to know there are some people thinking of you :wave: [back at you mate]

Its very cold here now, not got out much on pond, hopefully next month it will warm up, yet again a few new changes in mind due to me purchasing a secondhand ultrasieve III in mint condition, this will now go on outside of old sieve unit and the space taken by old sieves, will be turned into a plant garden, to soften the concrete look, hopefully thats as clear as mud :LOL: :LOL:

Posted photos of new sieve.
This sieve is a floating weir type so adjusts to water flow and pond height, so less fiddling about, just back flushing to do and sieve mesh cleaning as required, dont get me wrong the other sieves worked fine but had to adjust flow daily to suit level [vapouration etc]

Getting excited now the new season just around the corner, lot of planting to do this year plus new fish......just awaiting warmer weather [sigh]
whiskey

Attachments

• Photo0080_001 (480x640).jpg
    Photo0080_001 (480x640).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 200
  • Photo0081_001 (480x640).jpg
    Photo0081_001 (480x640).jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 203
  • Photo0082_001 (480x640).jpg
    Photo0082_001 (480x640).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 207
  • Photo0083_001 (640x480).jpg
    Photo0083_001 (640x480).jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 250

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good to see ya back whiskey. Nice new contraption there and guess most of us here agree that the less fiddling the more time for sitting and enjoying the fish. Are you happy w/ the way everything is working or would you change anything?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well me too GG! You are sitting there in the warmth of the Florida Sunshine State year round :blueflower:

Reaction score
I wish it was warmth year round. This topsy turvy weather is going to drive us all nutso. Can you believe we have another frost/freeze warning this week-end? I keep putting the frost blankets away for the year, and keep having to drag them back out. Think I lost my tadpoles with our last freeze, so I am thinking about putting one of the frost blankets over the pond. Silly fish and frogs are out there doing the ohh-la-la it's spring time and it rained and it's time for some action dancing and singing. The high this past Saturday was 87 F / 30 C, and this coming Saturday we have a freeze forecast. Just crazy. Guess I'll be making more stewed green tomatoes.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'd sure take some freezes in between those nice 80+ temps! Anything would be better than all this rain.Guess you have to worry about your tropical plants there tho. I never think of Florida as having freezing temps but I guess you do cuz I've heard about the orange groves freezing and the threats for hikes in the price of oj.

whiskey

Reaction score
A quick update.....ultra sieve III now in and running...well pleased with floating weir, its so smooth and being set to water level it also can flutulate according to level, something my homemade sieves could not do.
Another cold spell on way for next week ....more delays.

Have video on start up of pump, so you can see action of weir, water comes in via gravity from bottom drain and the floating weir acts as a water level, water then pours over the weir filling the next level, as the second level rises so does the float, till it finds a balance/level, waste runs to waste outlet and the clean water to pump.

lot of muck coming up due to pond clean and waste from sides and bottom....couple of days will be fine ..
MY SET UP NOW IS

sieve on 24/7 uv 12/7[as required] shower 24/7 bio 24/7 now only running two pumps 20,000 b/d sieve and shower[ tee off for water wheel] plus 3500 bio

whiskey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, that self-adjusting sieve is really neat indeed! I'm anxious to see the waterwheel up and running, darn it! Can't you post a pic or better yet a video of that for us, Whiskey?! I know it's getting cold there, so hopefully you'll be able to post some full pond videos soon. Pretty sure everything is done on the outside now, right, or do you still have some stonework left to do before all parts get up and running?

whiskey

Reaction score
Weather here been cold ...snow....rain....two dry days ....now snow ....and the next 10 days snow and sleet ...and you cannot build in this weather...its been like this since before christmas....it sucks

whiskey

Reaction score
WUSS........ with my bad health.....your lucky to see my project......unless your wishing to see the last picture a CROSS :goodnight:

Ask a Question