WHISKEYS NEW POND PROJECT

Reaction score
Unlike the rest of the state, we dont get much at all... the ocean air keeps us JUST warm enough to avoid it most of the time... when we do get it, we're one of the first to be out driving in it... have to laugh at all the idiots who cant drive (in or out of snow)...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Cape, my parents were both raised in Wisconsin, quite a bit of snow. Dad was the one that taught each of us 6 kids to drive in the snow. I had my learner's permit in the winter, and actually learned to do a controlled slide (can't remember what it's called) in Driver's Ed! What fun! But, Dad would NOT deal with stupid people on the snow! He tells the story of taking my older brother to college, snowy day in southern Illinois, had one long hill in Collinsville that he had to get up, along with everyone else out that day. It was a one by one trip, one car at a time, as if the car didn't make it to the top, they had to back down. My dad was one of several helping to keep the car going forward. He taught many to drive on snowy hills that day. One particular teenage boy was not learning very well. The teen thought that once he got going, if he gave the car more gas, he would go faster. We all know that just made him slip, and lose momentum. After the second failed attempt, my dad stuck his head into the car face to face with the teen and told him, "If you don't do as I tell you this next time, I will personally push your car into the ditch so the rest of us can get going!" That did it, the teen listened and went slowly. I have been in the ditch a couple of times on the snow, so I'm sure not perfect, but have learned that sometimes it helps to put the car in neutral when in a slow slide. Wish I would have thought of that when I was doing about a 2 mph sideways slide into that semi trailer last January. Hit the brake, which was first rule NOT to do. I can say that I have never NOT made it to work, though, on a snowy or icy day, except for one day that the State actually closed all their offices due to the ice storm. I like to drive where others are NOT driving, go slow, pay attention. But, there are always stupid people out there that will panic and slide every time, or simply going too fast!
Here's another story! Many years ago, I drove a rear wheel drive Astro mini van. Sucked on slick roads. Driving as many country roads to work that morning, stupid drove the highway, went too fast. Small pickup truck was tailgating me, finally zoomed past me. I thought that guy had no better traction than me. Sure enough, about 1/2 mile ahead of me I saw a huge poof of snow! That guy went nose first into a deep ditch with a hill right next to it! He wasn't going anywhere soon! Funniest part was I slowed down and asked if he needed a ride anywhere. LOL Young whippersnapper ... guess I showed him!

Reaction score
We get real snow so rarely, that starting when the kids were about 14-15 we would take them down to the beach parking lots to drive in it every chance we got. Would get them out into the center of a large area and have them blowing donuts, figure eights, and NAILING the brakes... they got the feel for being OUT OF CONTROL and then would practice how to come OUT of those situations IN CONTROL. Youngest still needs practice, as our last couple of winters were super mild... She is only 17 and on the road for a bit over a year (including the time on the permit)... If the weather is bad here (a basic nor'easter, or Sandy), we just go and get her, and her truck... put her in an Expedition for the added metal... Hopefully this winter we'll have some snow for her... once the skills are learned, you dont forget them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
The other thing, Cape, I think snow is easier to maneuver on in a stick shift/manual shift car or truck. I learned to drive in a stick shift car, my parents were adamant about us learning how to drive WELL in a stick shift. Nowadays, those vehicles are few and far between. Used to be ALL Toyotas were stick, now you have to special order one almost. You have more control when you can tell the engine not so much power, more pull. Or, maybe that's what the traction control does in a way. I just settle for the Charger staying home, and the 4WD being in gear when I'm out in the truck and there is snow on the ground. Ice .... well nothing but slow is going to save you from that. Going into the ditch slowly is much safer and less damaging on the car than at 50 mph. :)

Reaction score
My father was a firm believer that anyone who couldnt drive a standard did NOT know how to drive AT ALL. Before I was ALLOWED to drive his cars, I had to rebuild a tranny and install a clutch with him... god forbid you EVER ground a gear, or feathered the clutch on a hill...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I tried to learn how to drive a stick shift in Seattle once and the hills were like mountain peaks and almost rolled all the way backwards down the hills, said had enough of this and never tried again
xmassmiley21.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I remember the year I got my license, maybe when drove to the town to take the driving test even. At a stop sign, slight hill. Took foot off of brake, started to slowly give it gas, didn't give enough gas, not pulling clutch out fast enough, started to roll backwards and there was a car there! My dad said, "Either give it some gas or hit the brake!" LOL He was a really good teacher, he just didn't practice enough on hills with me. But, I was really good, I could hold a car on a hill with clutch and gas. Still can. Love my tractor, and my kids learned to drive a tractor, which is far easier than a car. Pretty much put it in gear, pull clutch out slowly and away you went! Then they were allowed to drive the 5 speed PU truck. My first car was a 4 speed Pontiac Sunbird. Great gas mileage, before anyone worried about gas mileage! But, too low to the ground, if more than driver in the car, had to drive off to the side of the road in the country, where they "crown" the roads, or would drag the exhaust system.
Cape, I'm impressed you helped put in a tranny and clutch! I think watching that kind of thing and seeing how parts work is really beneficial to knowing later on when learning how to drive. Your dad was a great teacher. My dad made us read the WHOLE owner's manual before we were allowed to drive the cars. And, he had each one of us remove a tire and replace it. I was an expert at changing a tire after my first car! Had 5 flat tires (nail in one, the rest were bad tires) within the first year and a half, could literally change off flat and replace it with spare in 10 minutes or less. Not bad ... for a girl. LOL Even changed a tire 1/2 mile from my house, in a dress, on the way to work on a 90 degree morning in the heat of the summer. That sucked, but got it done, and only 5 minutes late for work.
OK, enough about cars. Where are you Whiskey, and how are you feeling these days? Weather might be getting him down, too! We miss youuuuuuuu!!!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
He's dancing around the house and singing Celine Dion songs in French! :redface:
John

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
Hi Gang

Well now ...my knee is a lot better and has allowed me to press on with pond.

You will see from photos my sieve flows.
[one from skimmer and two will be from bottom drain.]

Skimmer to feed water blade pump.
Bottom drain to feed bio and shower pumps.

Started to higher wall on water wheel bay and turning top capping stones on their edges to cover blockwork to match the rest of brickwork.

Where the old skimmer was will now be a two tier walkway once finished.

Its all coming together.

whiskey.

Attachments

• DSC01650.JPG
    DSC01650.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC01659.JPG
    DSC01659.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC01658.JPG
    DSC01658.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC01660.JPG
    DSC01660.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC01661.JPG
    DSC01661.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC01662.JPG
    DSC01662.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC01663.JPG
    DSC01663.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 266

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Haven't really a clue on all that stuff you are building but it looks complicated. Will be interesting to see it all in action
xmassmiley12.gif

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
ITS TO EASY TO KEEP PEOPLE IN AWAITING ...........LIKE ASKING A CHILD TO GO TO SHOP FOR A " LONG WEIGHT".......A JOHN [HARO] HE HE

Reaction score
So glad that is coming along for you Whiskey, it all looks really neat, but sadly for me, way too complicated for me to absorb LOL.

Ask a Question