Who's idea was it to start garage sales on week days?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
if my calculations are right, I'll be able to retire by the age of.... 97View attachment 105641
Before I "retired", I had one job. Now that I'm "retired", I have TWO jobs! And the pay is nowhere NEAR as good. :( But I can pretty well pick my hours, so I guess its not ALL bad. :D
John

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Before I "retired", I had one job. Now that I'm "retired", I have TWO jobs! And the pay is nowhere NEAR as good. :( But I can pretty well pick my hours, so I guess its not ALL bad. :D
John
I hear you @HARO, I feel like I woke harder now that I am retired than when I had a "real" job.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I hear you @HARO, I feel like I woke harder now that I am retired than when I had a "real" job.
Went from a union shop to running the water gardening section of a garden center, then an elderly couple asked me to look after their garden, keeping it pruned and such. No more union. No more hearing "It's not MY ******* job!" :)
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm with you @j.w - my neighborhood does an annual garage sale and my older-than-me next door neighbors started to participate the last two years. They were thrilled to make $250. But when I pointed out that was $225 for his riding lawn mower (that he could have sold in ten minutes on craigslist) and $25 for the rest of the stuff they spent four days selling, the weren't so excited. Just not my thing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't want all those strangers coming to our house, we are sort of hidden in a neighborhood. Can't even really see our house. With hubbies car collection sitting around it is better no one sees them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't want all those strangers coming to our house, we are sort of hidden in a neighborhood. Can't even really see our house. With hubbies car collection sitting around it is better no one sees them.
This is a very good point! I don't have expensive cars, but I don't trust strangers coming by the house
If we sell anything on CL, we meet the buyer in a public parking lot
It is very sad that we can't trust no one

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Never ever seen a garage sale over here! We have car boot sales, organised events mainly run by charity organisations etc where ppl sell unwanted items from their car boots, maybe a pasting table or blanket on the floor as well.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Yeah. I'm not rich. I just would rather throw something away than go through the bother of trying to sell anything to a bunch of strangers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
We're big on recycling and garage/yard sales are a great way to do so, whether buying or selling. We have an annual sale over the 4th of July weekend every year and have made quite a few good friends at these. We joke that we never buy anything new except food, toilet paper and toothpaste.

I even got a new, left over 15x25 foot 45 mil rubber pond liner for $100 at one sale! I guess we are hopelessly addicted to treasure hunting, as we go to all the sales in the area nearly every week. Of course, in the winter here, there are very few sales, it's tough when there's 2-4 feet of snow on the ground!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like going to them and sometimes find good deals, it's the having them part I don't like.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I'm going to the Thunderbird tomorrow as a matter of fact.
Looking for items for my pond area or for my pet tortoise pen....And some Tide pod detergent for the laundry. I usually find the $20 packages for $8.

Ask a Question