Why can't I get my pond water clear!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
@PinKoiPam , and... from taking a better look at your pictures...

...appears you already have a UV device...

...You shouldn't be having this green water algae if your UV device is properly working...

...check with the manufacturer on proper servicing of the UV device to get the UV device back to properly operating.
I think I had water flow going thru too fast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps with you having had green water issues they aren't used to actually seeing the hand that feeds them....so you scared them into hiding?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a huge Dragon Tongue plant that outgrew its basket and now occupies almost one entire side of the pond. When it droops over in the late spring it covers nearly half the surface of the water - providing much needed shade. You can drop a cinder block or some other square flat item in and put a basket of plants on it. Elephant Ear do good in lots of sun. If your koi aren't too big you can try water lettuce or hyacinth - but it may be too late in the season to find anything. I can no longer use floating plants because my koi tear them up within a day. Arrowhead plants are really hardy, and as previously mentioned, iris are practically indestructible. Go with the easy plants for now. They will grow quickly and act as filters. It's funny you mentioned Tricker growers - their store is about a half hour from me. It's a really neat place. They specialize in lillies and it smells SO good in there! It looks like a really nice pond though! Don't forget to throw a thermometer in there. I would stay away from the chemicals - you're not really solving the problem by using them. In my humble opinion, what you need are plants, plants, and more plants! And don't overfeed! Also, many perennials will grow partially submerged - look for ones that like moist conditions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hang in there. I had my pond for 5 years before I got clear water. I added more aeration and water movement and it finally cleared this year.
took me 8 years to get a clear pond...

Ask a Question