addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
She will love it, I would start digging, a little at a time, explain how much easier to maintain and care for. Negotiate, show her pictures of water falls, rocks, beautiful plants around the pond.

She will come around.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
build it and they will come...haha.After seeing the finished product she'll love it.and if not then she has a swimming hole hehe,or in your case a plot........
Seriously
On the average a 1200 G pond is what most homeowners have.
My wife knows if I don't spend time by my ponds,then I get real stressed,and well I need less of the stress.Once you hear a waterfall,see fish swimming happy,it will calm your nerves,better than anything in this world. I fall asleep out there just about every morning and night.I have the skitter bites to prove it........lol

We all need a chill spot..............

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pondscum said:
Bought a house 2 years ago and have a nice place for a pond. Wife said she would love to have a koi pond so I start designing.

There is your answer wife said love a KOI pond, ie bigger than a gold fish pond therefore you need the size for the beautiful koi she will have!

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Actually let her see the forum,and what she's missing ..................

Attachments

• 8 286.jpg
    8 286.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 315
  • 8 243.jpg
    8 243.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 310
  • (2).jpg
    (2).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 277
  • (6).jpg
    (6).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 286
Reaction score
Just build it. I promise you that she will come to love it. Likely very shortly after its finished. I'm not just saying this cause its not my wife and I don't care. I have a wife that I too must deal with. In all seriousness dude, just build your dream. You don't want to look back for a very long time and wish about what could have been. I'm telling you she'll love it. She just can't see it for what it will be now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
She just doesn't want to devote that much of our yard to the pond. Our yard is not big but there will still be enough room for the kid and the dog to play so i'm gonna build the pond I want. I know my daughter will have more fun and enjoyment watching the pond and learning about the life that it sustains than it just being a patch of grass. 2/3 of yard will still be a lawn any how which is more than enough room and more space than a lot of yards in this city.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Here is a plan of my yard with the proposed pond that is "Way too big".

Tell me what you all think.

Attachments

• POND.pdf
    44.3 KB · Views: 290
Reaction score
I would compromise but stay with the same volume. Just go a little deeper with a little less surface.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
I designed it so we could sit on our back patio and enjoy it having a few beers or mojitos and it can also be seen from our dining room table inside the house.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is not to big imho. The scale fits with the size of your yard and what a neat view you would have. Put a waterfall on the far side so sitting there you can see it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Depending on how old your daughter is, make sure you plan for some kind of protection. I was showing my nephew my pond one day and as he leaned over, he kept going and went head first into the pond. I caught him before his head hit the bottom. He was very scared...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
That was exactly my plan, with the waterfall in the far corner and the bottom drain and deep section on the opposite side. I also planned a couple of bigger rocks near the patio to put our feet on while sitting on the patio with a cold beverage or a morning coffee. My vision will come to fruition and I think she will love it especially after there are some baby koi in it. How can you not love baby koi? She can be a little high maintenance sometimes but she does have a soul... ha ha

Ask a Question