Wife said "That's too big"

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Have you been to my place and seen my ponds and Koi yet? I advertise in craigs list every week, so I am easy to find. Search under Water Plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Dr. Dave,
My daughter is turning two next week and she has 2 young cousins too so protection from falling in is one of the details i'm still trying to plan. Maybe some of that roll out bamboo fencing or something.
I have a few other questions for the experts but not sure if I should start a new thread or not.
Do I need a sieve before my pump?
If so does it have to be gravity fed?
I was planning on a few matala pads in the bottom of my skippy filter, I thought that would work good as to not need a sieve.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
I use prefilters for mine. One is the skimmer, the other is the leaf basket/priming pot on my pump. Just makes sure that nothing big enough to hurt the pump get into the impeller. I clean that still pretty frequently, I'm sure that as cooler weather approaches, I'll do that less.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
pondscum said:
Dr. Dave,
My daughter is turning two next week and she has 2 young cousins too so protection from falling in is one of the details i'm still trying to plan. Maybe some of that roll out bamboo fencing or something.
I have a few other questions for the experts but not sure if I should start a new thread or not.
Do I need a sieve before my pump?
If so does it have to be gravity fed?
I was planning on a few matala pads in the bottom of my skippy filter, I thought that would work good as to not need a sieve.

Go to my web site or better yet come up and see my ponds. I have always had crystal clear water and you don't need most of the clap trap that you hear is needed from folks here. I can show you how to do it cheap and effective.
DrCase has made his ponds child friendly and may chime in with some photos of his excellent fencing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Dr.Dave,
I have seen our advertisements and was planning to visit your pond before I start my build. Cheap and effective is the way I want to go and I know you have a great knowlege of how to do this. I already had plans to pick your brain before I ever even posted here. I want to visit many local ponds before I start mine.
I was planning on a prefilter in the skimmer and a leaf basket before the pump too so I will take the sieve out of my plans.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Go to my web site or better yet come up and see my ponds. I have always had crystal clear water and you don't need most of the clap trap that you hear is needed from folks here. I can show you how to do it cheap and effective.
DrCase has made his ponds child friendly and may chime in with some photos of his excellent fencing.[/QUOT

DrDave when you say clap trap you are referring to UV. I don't need UV after my nitrifying bacteria is established in the spring. Does your water temperature out in Escondido get cold enough to kill off your bacteria in the winter? Maybe it does, just curious.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
As for the weather here; I have seen ice in the shallowest end and 111 degree summers.

To me, unnessary stuff, therfore "clap trap" are, skimmers, bottom drains and UV. In the over 40 years I have been without them I have not seen a reason for the added expense and grief that comes with all of them.

These items promote a pond into a pool. This is the "Garden POND Forum".

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
not to be arguementitive but if there is any i'd like to know, seriously ...
i gotta ask...what greif comes with u.v usage?....my u.v cost under $100 replacement bulbs are 2 for $10.00. it costs me less to run my pump and u.v than a beckett 1150 pump.
backett 1150 pump.........144 watts
tetrapond 1200 pump... 122 watts
tetrapond 9 watt u.v..........9.75 watts
i could run my pump and 2 of my u.v.s for the power consumption of just one beckett 1150pump.
i only run my u.v for a week or so in the spring. and its done. but i dont have have the long ponding season that some of you do.so id rather not wait to have my pond go thru an alge bloom, and clear naturally. mine is clear in 3 or 4 days. i dont run 3 pumps constantly. i run my entire pond on one 1200 gph pump and my 70 gal filter. my water is crystal clear and my parameters are ideal, consistantly. and my u.v usage might cost me $2 a year!!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
This should be obvious, but here goes;
I don't have to buy one.
I don't have to plumb it.
I don't have to maintain it.
I don't have to replace it.
I don't have any increase in electric bill.
I don't have another electrical shock hazard around the water.
And most important, I don't have an algae problem because my pond is balanced.
The last algae bloom I had was before I installed my "Doc Bio Filter".

It is hard to argue with success. To me it is a waste of money and energy. If that effort was put into balancing the pond and building a great bio filter, the UV would never needed.

Every added device is another source for something going wrong.
Murphy is alive and well, last I heard.

Reaction score
pondscum said:
Here is a plan of my yard with the proposed pond that is "Way too big".

Tell me what you all think.

Dude ... I hate to tell you this .... it ain't big enough!

Ask a Question