Will my fish be OK if the pump/waterfall is off for 4 hours?

Reaction score
I've got three very large koi as well as some small gold fish in my pond and have gone over 24 hours without the pumps running due to power failures. Have never had any problems with water quality, you should be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It should be ok to turn it off for a few hours. I’m assuming that the day will not be extremely hot, that you have not overstocked the pond with fish, and you have a large volume of water. If it makes you feel better, partially cover the pond with something light colored to prevent the pond from heating up.
The pond is partially shaded and isn't overstocked at all. Lots of plants. The high on Saturday is supposed to be 78. I think it will be AOK! (y)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We've had power outages and we do have generators but at night we turn them off, so long periods w/o the waterfall going and fish do fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Well, I didn't turn the waterfall off - because we had so few people. Weeks of work for a grand total of.... $77.

Dang. I guess I have to save a while longer! But on the plus side, we did clean out a lot of stuff. Took 85% of what was left to Goodwill.

Ask a Question