Will suckering trees puncture pond liners?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ve seen many regular growing trees growing next to ponds but would a tree with a suckering habit puncture a pond liner? I’d like to plant one of my favorite trees, aralia elata by my pond to create some shade for my nearby plants as they are all shade plants(growing in full sun now). Anyone know?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think almost any plant's roots will take advantage of a small puncture in a liner and make it bigger. I believe the idea that a plant will send its roots right through a solid liner is a myth.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree, with reservations. Most roots will take the easiest path. The idea that a tree or plant "knows" there's water on the other side of the liner is kind of out there. If you already have a tear or hole, then for sure. Bu most will just run along the liner and stay on their own side of the turf.

The only exception I have seen is full sized cattails - we were on a pond tour where a man was dealing with cattails that went through the side of his cement swimming pool. Now could it have been cracked already - maybe. But that sight scared me straight away from cattails!

Ask a Question