Winter brrrrr....

Reaction score
Ok so my pond is roughly 9-14 and 22" deep I live in zone 5 massachusetts
is a deicer all I really need just to vent gas or should I have some sort of heater will it freeze completely without a real heater?

I was initially told to just shut off all the filters waterfall ect and just put a single pump in the middle to move the water and add 1 deicer to keep a vent hole open should I get one of the air pumps with bubble wands to oxygenise the water also? sorry lots of questions I have no answers the pond was a result of LOWES not much help there but they told me at the time of construction frost line was 18" not that koi like 3ft im @ 22'.

Reaction score
:cold: Don't stress to much. One of my ponds is only 14" deep. I live in zone 4 Utah. I shut off the pumps and store them for the winter. I put in a good air stone and cover it with clear 4 or 6 mill plastic. I use 1x2's as a support to keep the plastic out of the pond stones or brick holds it down. This has worked for me for 16 years. Hope this helps.:grumble:
blueflower.gif

Reaction score
I left my waterfall running last year - didn't want the hassle of removing the pump, lava rocks and filters. It worked great, still filtered and aerated. When it got really cold, I plugged the deicer in in front of the skimmer. I also put a net up (over an arch) during the fall.

Ask a Question