Winter has hit with a vengance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Brrr the last tropical storm has caused Arctic weather to wash down over the UK , its freezing , there may well be snow on the way for most of the country .
At the moment its 5c and dropping but on a plus the pond is holding up well under the policarbonate roofing sheets as we have a pond temperature of 12.7c so weve only shed a degree so far.
Will we get snow here in the South West that is the question Dartmoor normally takes the brunt of any snow it being at a far higher elevation that where we are but if the temperature keeps on dropping it may well happen here .
Wont be going out to do a water change tomorrow as its far too cold for my liking .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Sorry to hear Dave.
If there is anything I can offer, it's that cold water will not kill your koi.
Keep your mechanical systems running, or cut back to bubble aeration and take your pumps in for the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear Dave.
If there is anything I can offer, it's that cold water will not kill your koi.
Keep your mechanical systems running, or cut back to bubble aeration and take your pumps in for the winter.
Mitch looking at the remote pond thermometer my pond is doing just fine under the policarbonate roofong sheets and we still have a temperature of 12.2c and an outside air temperature of 4.2c so our winter period defences are doing well , as to koi and coldwater they are acctually a sub tropical species of fish and according to the great UK koi Guru Peter waddington should be heated throughout this period .
Not that we do, our pond during the worst of winter never getting bellow that of 07c even at -15c

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Brrr the last tropical storm has caused Arctic weather to wash down over the UK , its freezing , there may well be snow on the way for most of the country .
At the moment its 5c and dropping but on a plus the pond is holding up well under the policarbonate roofing sheets as we have a pond temperature of 12.7c so weve only shed a degree so far.
Will we get snow here in the South West that is the question Dartmoor normally takes the brunt of any snow it being at a far higher elevation that where we are but if the temperature keeps on dropping it may well happen here .
Wont be going out to do a water change tomorrow as its far too cold for my liking .

Dave
Sounds like you and Val are getting a pretty bad winter across the pond. Hopefully your previous experience with koi and a little navy ingenuity should allow you to navigate any problems the weather may toss at you. If there is ever anything I can do for you just let me know. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like you and Val are getting a pretty bad winter across the pond. Hopefully your previous experience with koi and a little navy ingenuity should allow you to navigate any problems the weather may toss at you. If there is ever anything I can do for you just let me know. ;)
Navy Ingenuity I have thats why I had the forethought to insulate the pond pipes and filter housing when my neighbour was building it which has paid off hansomely since

Dave.

Ask a Question