Winter set up.

Reaction score
Quebec, Canada here, and i am getting my pond ready for its first long cold winter. Its about 1200 gallons, 3,5 feet deep. 7-8 comets, 2 koi and about a gazillion tiny goldfish.

Have taken some advice from here and built and ingloo type shelter. I have also added a 5 cfm bubbler which in located in the house with an insulated pipe running to the pond. Hoping that between worm air from the bubbler, and some retention of sun heat the fish will fair well.

Will be plugging in a remote thermometer to measure water temp, and air temp to see how it does.

Anything missing?

Attachments

• IMG00053-20101017-1231[1].jpg
    IMG00053-20101017-1231[1].jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 257

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome, neat idea to pump warm air from the house! Like the idea of remote thermometer too!

good ideas

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
theres a possibility of a problem with pumping air from inside your house....the warmer moist air from your house will want to cool and condense, then freeze in the airline as it travels outside the house. (the farther it has to travel the more at risk) when this builds up and freezes it will cut off the air flow and render the setup udeless until the frozen line is thawed and the moisture removed

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
koiguy1969 said:
theres a possibility of a problem with pumping air from inside your house....the warmer moist air from your house will want to cool and condense in the airline whern this builds up and freezes it will cut off the air flow and render the setup udeless until the frozen line is thawed and the moisture removed

Well humm you are probably right, us desert gals don't remember stuff like that.

Reaction score
Yes, i will be adding plastic. Right now it has netting to collect the fall leaves.

The line goes about 20 ft, and is covered with pipe insulation. Hopefully that will avoid too much cooling of the air. Perhaps i will look at adding a secondary insulation (leaves?).

Wonder if i could figuere out a way to dry the air prior to sending it outside?

Bern

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You can stick the small air line inside a pvc pipe and put the insulation around it for more protection.. The leaves will help too

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
its easy to also float 2 inch thick styrofoam insulation on the surface. that will add to the insulation barrier and also help prevent ice buildup on the surface. it gets so cold up there that your frost line is probably as deep as your pond, so anything will help. you can also place an incandescent bulb on an extension cord to hang in the dome to help raise the temperature. good luck.

Reaction score
Bonjour d'Alberta par l'ami de Québécois. I have 8 goldfish that I winter each year in my basement. I have two large plastic storage containers. Each 30x18x11 inches. The bottom of each is covered with a good layer of 1-2 inch rock. I use an aquarium pump split off with a bubbler for each. I have a florescent plant grow light over both on a timer giving 6 hours of light per day. I feed them a handful of koi pellets every other day. They eat any algea that develops. As the level drops due to evaporation I refill with a bucket of tap water that I let sit for at least a day. Best to have a couple of larger rocks in the tank to pour over otherwise you stir up the crap sitting below the gravel. I have done this for 6 winters without losing a fish. This year I'm in trouble as I can't find the 5 new koi in order to pull them out (see my post, it you have any ideas I would like to know).

rdk

Reaction score
Why not put in a good surface de-icer and an air pump? Can you run these things to your pond. My fish seemed to love being under the ice and snow last winter in their nice big pond and all came out of winter fine. RDK

Ask a Question