Yellow Monkey Flower

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I was looking for colored flowers for my bog... I noted yellow monkey flowers which i have never heard of. Researching on the net i noticed that it actually comes in different color splashes.

Has anyone successfully had them in zone 6 or lower? How about the different colors? Will only yellow work in a bog? Are the ones below a bog ok variety?

pictures off the web

more picures off the web

I would love to get my hands on some but it seems everyone is just selling their seeds (same with Marsh Marigold).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was looking for colored flowers for my bog... I noted yellow monkey flowers which i have never heard of. Researching on the net i noticed that it actually comes in different color splashes.

Has anyone successfully had them in zone 6 or lower? How about the different colors? Will only yellow work in a bog? Are the ones below a bog ok variety?

pictures off the web

more picures off the web

I would love to get my hands on some but it seems everyone is just selling their seeds (same with Marsh Marigold).
I have them; they do great. Too great in fact--have to thin them back and watch they don't spread all over the place. Very easy and reliable.
210731 - pond plants, lilies, turtles, fish, wfall 11.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow those are neat! Going to add to my try list!

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are many species of monkeyflower (Mimulus) native to North America, South America, and Asia. Actually, Mimulus has now been divided into several genera. The wet-growing species are now mostly placed in Erythranthe.

There are many species here in western North America, and they are often found in montane regions with cold winters. There are both annual and perennial species. Many of the cultivated form are hybrids.

The most common yellow-flowered species is Erythranthe guttata. It looks quite similar to what brokensword grows.

Two very attractive wet-growing species that you may be interested in are the pink-flowered Erythranthe lewisii and the red-flowered Erythranthe cardinalis. They are both supposedly hardy to Zone 6 (-10º F), possibly lower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
There are many species of monkeyflower (Mimulus) native to North America, South America, and Asia. Actually, Mimulus has now been divided into several genera. The wet-growing species are now mostly placed in Erythranthe.

There are many species here in western North America, and they are often found in montane regions with cold winters. There are both annual and perennial species. Many of the cultivated form are hybrids.

The most common yellow-flowered species is Erythranthe guttata. It looks quite similar to what brokensword grows.

Two very attractive wet-growing species that you may be interested in are the pink-flowered Erythranthe lewisii and the red-flowered Erythranthe cardinalis. They are both supposedly hardy to Zone 6 (-10º F), possibly lower.
Marck; how much do you know about cardinal flower? In the link below is mine, which apparently differs from all the pics I see from others. Whatcha think?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Marck; how much do you know about cardinal flower? In the link below is mine, which apparently differs from all the pics I see from others. Whatcha think?
Hello, your purple cardinal flower looks like a cultivar of Lobelia x speciosa, which is a hybrid of the red-flowered Lobelia cardinalis and the blue-flowered L. siphilitica. Plant breeders have made a lot of nice selections of these plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States

Wow thanks for the tip. The pink one is gorgeous. Now i need to find me somewhere to buy them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Bought some "seeds" of Erythranthe lewisii . Those things are so tiny and I dont know if the number of ones i planted today will even work. We'll see.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bought some "seeds" of Erythranthe lewisii . Those things are so tiny and I dont know if the number of ones i planted today will even work. We'll see.
I will be interested to hear how they come up. Do they need cold stratification? If so, sow now for Spring germination. I would spread them on the surface of a pot of moist soil set in a saucer of water. If you have a lot of seed you could also try sowing some in place in your bog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
It was 20 tiny seeds. I was about to return the package I’m telling you.

I put them in a moist soils and stirred the surface slightly. We’ll see what happens. I hope I will have some plants to plant in the bog by spring.

Ask a Question