Yet more green water...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
it would work but I'd steer away from this idea for one reason; you LOSE valuable pond visibility. That is, anything/fish that goes beneath you can't see. It's like having too many water lilies; some are nice--a necessary function of shade and flowers--but if half or more of your surface is covered, you have to wait for anything to emerge. I think the outside-of-the pond bog idea will treat you better in the long run.

As an idea for getting at your plants to thin; you can build your box against that wall and once you have the gravel in, place some long, narrow, approx 1-2" thick sandstone pieces near but not on the edge. You then use this 'path' for walking on to get at thinning the plants. It's what I did. Mine also double as 'channel' makers for the outpour over the facia wall.

Doing the above then gives you more volume+surface area for your bog (based on your pics, imo).

IF you were to go the way of the mortar box, you would NOT need any liner (or wood walls) as the water can spill over the sides and if you wanted one particular area, you cut that side down an inch or so and voila! instant waterfall/cascade. I did something like your pic (NOT in the pond, but above and outside my winter turtle pool system) as an axuiliary bog; just pea stone over a pvc manifold with slits, and a small pump from the turtle pool.

I like the box against the wall but there is this annoying netting at 21" from the back wall :rolleyes:

Or, the box could rest inside the netting and a bit overlapping the pond like this found on Pinterest. Looks like they built their box with 4x4s. A little loss of visibility on the pond though.

Is there a better way than netting? It keeps the hawks at bay however blocks the good guys like humming birds or dragon flies.

1634705705282.png

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hawks aren't the problem unless your protecting frogs. They don't go fishing very often though if a fish sits at the surface long enough he may become dinner.
The other idea to fish protection is if you have a tight area where there's a tight or limited space for the birds to fly away. Osprey eagles herons even egrets they can all get in tight areas but the ALL need a decent runway / flight patch to fly away . I have the pond surrounded on two sides with buildings . My house and my garage . With a tall 8 foot hedge to the third sidearm the fourth has a 14 foot high golf net so it is a wall and not covering the pond . Again the idea is removing the flight patch for them to be able to fly away .

brokensword

Not all those who wander are lost
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I like the box against the wall but there is this annoying netting at 21" from the back wall :rolleyes:

Or, the box could rest inside the netting and a bit overlapping the pond like this found on Pinterest. Looks like they built their box with 4x4s. A little loss of visibility on the pond though.

Is there a better way than netting? It keeps the hawks at bay however blocks the good guys like humming birds or dragon flies.

View attachment 143363
Re the net; you can use 4" open weave (same as addy and j.w use on their pond) and the lil birds and frogs and dragonflies and mice and chipmunks and whatnot can get in and out. You can either reposition the backside of the net to cover the bog or not--it probably isn't necessary if you have the pond proper covered.

With your pond as per your pics, I'd lean toward using the same stone as what you have on the patio, or something that goes with your more modern style. That said, tis your pond!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Re the net; you can use 4" open weave (same as addy and j.w use on their pond) and the lil birds and frogs and dragonflies and mice and chipmunks and whatnot can get in and out. You can either reposition the backside of the net to cover the bog or not--it probably isn't necessary if you have the pond proper covered.

With your pond as per your pics, I'd lean toward using the same stone as what you have on the patio, or something that goes with your more modern style. That said, tis your pond!!

Speaking of the 4" open weave, where do I find this? do you have a web link? I don't plan to use stone for the box as the surroundings of the pond are uneven (the paving guys did a poor job). I am thinking cover it with rock on a roll.

That said, tis your pond!!

Ah, choices, choices... I'll try modelling everything in 3D to see how it looks. BlocksCad3d is awesome.

Thanks!

brokensword

Not all those who wander are lost
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Speaking of the 4" open weave, where do I find this? do you have a web link? I don't plan to use stone for the box as the surroundings of the pond are uneven (the paving guys did a poor job). I am thinking cover it with rock on a roll.

Ah, choices, choices... I'll try modelling everything in 3D to see how it looks. BlocksCad3d is awesome.

Thanks!
I'll channel the Boss; she's got the link. Or j.w

@addy1 and @j.w ; can ya help a fellow ponder out??? I never kept your net links.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ad

Advertisements

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This is the place I got mine at but think @addy1 got her newer one at the place above instead of the old place: https://www.memphisnet.net/product/75/netting_multi_277
This place I had to sew two pieces together to make mine wide enough to fit over my pond. The length was fine tho. Maybe the new place you wouldn't have to do that?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe @addy1 could say why she switched to the new company from the old one?
This place I had to sew two pieces together to make mine wide enough to fit over my pond. The length was fine tho. Maybe the new place you wouldn't have to do that?
They made the net to the size I needed, no stitching together. Fit perfectly.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Hawks aren't the problem unless your protecting frogs. They don't go fishing very often though if a fish sits at the surface long enough he may become dinner.
The other idea to fish protection is if you have a tight area where there's a tight or limited space for the birds to fly away. Osprey eagles herons even egrets they can all get in tight areas but the ALL need a decent runway / flight patch to fly away . I have the pond surrounded on two sides with buildings . My house and my garage . With a tall 8 foot hedge to the third sidearm the fourth has a 14 foot high golf net so it is a wall and not covering the pond . Again the idea is removing the flight patch for them to be able to fly away .

In my case, plenty of open space around the pond, so not too many options.

In the meantime, I am playing around with OpenSCAD... my current concept. Access to plants would be through the back grid panel which would be removable.

Pond Bog Open Scad.jpg

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question