Yet more green water...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My daughter in Southern California has a 4-tiered fountain in her back yard and can't manage to keep it clear. Last June we attempted to make the 3rd layer into a bog with pea gravel, river rock and plants (creeping Jenny and parrots feather). She put in a couple water hyacinth and water letter, but those appeared to rot. She even attempted putting a couple goldfish in the bottom layer. The fish disappeared rather quickly, the plants all died and it is very green again. It is in full sun all day. The plants may not have liked the running water of the fountain. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Nikkis Fountain.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
I will let others answer the question but just wanted to say that water hyacinth is illegal in California, it's an extremely invasive plant. At one point I put one water hyacinth plant in my pond (before I learned that it's a no-no) and it didn't survive winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The water actually looks quite clear to me. Is the water green or just the surfaces of the stone? If she wants a sterile looking clean surface, she will have to use chemicals and not plan to grow anything in it. To me, it looks natural.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I will let others answer the question but just wanted to say that water hyacinth is illegal in California, it's an extremely invasive plant. At one point I put one water hyacinth plant in my pond (before I learned that it's a no-no) and it didn't survive winter.
The water hyacinth was actually purchased in SoCal near her home in Orange County.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The water actually looks quite clear to me. Is the water green or just the surfaces of the stone? If she wants a sterile looking clean surface, she will have to use chemicals and not plan to grow anything in it. To me, it looks natural.
It was clear at that time. We had just finished adding the rock and plants. It is now very green and all plants are gone. She is hesitant to use chemicals because her dog drinks from the fountain and birds frequently visit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
The water hyacinth was actually purchased in SoCal near her home in Orange County.

Yeah, they aren't supposed to sell it here (no worries, I am not going to send a SWAT team to your daughter's place :) ). Reportedly they are invading the San Francisco / San Joaquin delta. Anyhow, maybe the fountain is too shallow for the fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The water looks fine to me as well , like was mentioned is it the rocks that are developing a bio film on them. that you can only stop by chlorine or salt. there are other algicides but they are primarily hit or miss

Ask a Question