j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This is the place I got mine at but think @addy1 got her newer one at the place above instead of the old place: https://www.memphisnet.net/product/75/netting_multi_277
This place I had to sew two pieces together to make mine wide enough to fit over my pond. The length was fine tho. Maybe the new place you wouldn't have to do that?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe @addy1 could say why she switched to the new company from the old one?
This place I had to sew two pieces together to make mine wide enough to fit over my pond. The length was fine tho. Maybe the new place you wouldn't have to do that?
They made the net to the size I needed, no stitching together. Fit perfectly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Hawks aren't the problem unless your protecting frogs. They don't go fishing very often though if a fish sits at the surface long enough he may become dinner.
The other idea to fish protection is if you have a tight area where there's a tight or limited space for the birds to fly away. Osprey eagles herons even egrets they can all get in tight areas but the ALL need a decent runway / flight patch to fly away . I have the pond surrounded on two sides with buildings . My house and my garage . With a tall 8 foot hedge to the third sidearm the fourth has a 14 foot high golf net so it is a wall and not covering the pond . Again the idea is removing the flight patch for them to be able to fly away .

In my case, plenty of open space around the pond, so not too many options.

In the meantime, I am playing around with OpenSCAD... my current concept. Access to plants would be through the back grid panel which would be removable.

Pond Bog Open Scad.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Alright, I am slowly starting to build the structure... a couple of questions about waterproofing.

1) Are Uniseals ok with pond liner? I will have the incoming water from the pump going through the wooden box, the pond liner and into the bog.

2) How to correctly seal the fountain opening (see picture) with respect to the pond liner? What kind of sealant to use?

Thanks!
CG

1651378032289.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
More than a year later, the bog filter fountain is running! Need more plants and fish, but one thing at a time. :)

Inside the existing concrete pond (which started to leak) I built an interior wall with concrete bricks and mortar. Geotextile liner with EPDM 45 mil on top, and capping stones. Maximum depth is 2' 4".

Bog Filter.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A NARROW BOG SUCH AS YOURS THE WEAK point is the gravel to the wall and you have two close together as it loks like your 12" or less

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Good point - the distance between the 2 long walls is actually 16".

By weak point do you mean weight of the gravel pushing against the walls? The vertical walls are 1/2" plywood and there are 2 layers of 3/4" + 1/2" of plywood at the bottom. There are vertical 2"x4" studs spaced every 16" or so. At least according to my calculations from plywood thickness and weight exerted against the wall, I should be ok. But time will tell...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No weak as in you have a straight edge being the wall with the jagged edge of the stone they do not lock together like gravel to gravel making an easier path of least resistance.
construction wise your fine there's not that much pressure. i have similar with 20'x8' x 36"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
did not say it would not work , it limits, due to it being narrow . however it will eventually clog forcing water to find the next path of least resistance.

Ask a Question