Yet more green water...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
I added a submerged DIY filter in March this year. Pond is still greenish...

DIY filter has the following layers:
- water enters at the top of a submerged trash can
- high loft Poly-Fill (5 layers)
- sponges
- lava rock
- pump at bottom of trash can sucks water and brings water back up through PVC pipe, filtered water exits through the 2 outlets
- at current pump setting, about 500 gallons per hour

Pond specs:
- 11 feet long by 6 feet wide by 2 feet deep
- about 990 gallons when full
- the pond didn't have a pump for years and has accumulated a lot of goop at the bottom
- about 25 small goldfish (3-4 inch long)
- plants: water lilies, horse tail, smooth water hyssop, parrot feathers, marsh marigold

Any suggestion on next steps?

Attachments

• IMG_8491.jpg
    IMG_8491.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 55
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Hi, with pomp in March i would have added more filtrator plants like Juncus, typha, iris, papyrus etc that with their roots will suck a lot of nutriments from water and that fight the algae proliferation...and if got a lot of sun during the day, try to shade a bit more the water
And maybe, and if u can reduce the goldfish

Other way, ofc, is to make a Bog...but a bit more complex.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi, with pomp in March i would have added more filtrator plants like Juncus, typha, iris, papyrus etc that with their roots will suck a lot of nutriments from water and that fight the algae proliferation...and if got a lot of sun during the day, try to shade a bit more the water
And maybe, and if u can reduce the goldfish

Other way, ofc, is to make a Bog...but a bit more complex.
You go, Dimelius! Beat that bog drum proudly! We're gonna get you all on board, just wait and see!

@DerSchoeneBahnhof ;
AaaaNNNNNddddd, a bog isn't more complicated at all; the underwater filter (besides being a LOT more difficult to clean) is basically the same thing, but just a LOT smaller and a lot less effective. A bog should be spec'ed at 30% of the pond volume; I doubt the UW filter is even a fraction of that. But best of all, once you install bog filtration, you don't spend time cleaning it all the time; it works by itself. The ONLY maintenance is thinning plants periodically (I generally do it in the fall, so once a year).

Add floating plants to cover 60% of the pond surface, add the bog as noted above which gives you even more area for plants and a LOT more surface area for the good bacteria to do their thing, and you're golden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Basically we are talking about replacing the underwater filter with a bog? :unsure:

CG
just trying to get you into that lounge chair with your favorite libation quicker and more often. I know if you just bought it, there's a reluctance but consider how often you'll really need to clean this type (that's if it's even adequate for your pond size, which by your post, seems to not be) and when that will get old. Just do a quick search here for 'bog' and read some further testimonies. (I HATE that whole approach, but it's apt in this case). From @addy1 who is going on 10+ years without doing anything but thinning plants, to @poconojoe who is a new convert (a very enthusiastic one, too), to myself, @Lisak1 , and even the Harley-Riding ponder, @GBBUDD . And you have those that just wish they'd done this in the first place if they'd only known ( @j.w ). You have nothing to lose (except the cost of your UW filter) and so much to gain...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
I only clean my underwater filter once a month. I unscrew the PVC pipe, remove the lid, throw away the greenish goo'ish PolyFil, put a bunch of new PolyFil, and put the lid back on. 10-15 minutes top.

A bog would definitely be a lot prettier though, with more plants and all, as well as the promise of clear water.

Time to study then ;-)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Us boggers are addicted to our bogs......................... My pond was built with the bog, my other ponds had bogs. I have never used a "real" filter.

Love all the flowers and growth, the frogs love to live in it, the other critters including deer love it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, I went a long time and wasted so much money and effort before I was inspired by addy to add on a bog.

I tried everything. Homemade filters, commercial filters, UV lights. All a waste.

My bog is full of beutiful plants, has zero maintenance and my water is crystal clear. It literally looks like you could drink it.

My pond is definitely overpopulated with fish and the water was solid green before adding the bog. And that was with two pressure filters and a UV light. I sold all that stuff and only have the bog for filtration.

All I do now is feed and enjoy the fish... No maintenance.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love love love my bog! I am a lazy ponder, the less maintenance the better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Yep, I went a long time and wasted so much money and effort before I was inspired by addy to add on a bog.

I tried everything. Homemade filters, commercial filters, UV lights. All a waste.

My bog is full of beautiful plants, has zero maintenance and my water is crystal clear. It literally looks like you could drink it.

My pond is definitely overpopulated with fish and the water was solid green before adding the bog. And that was with two pressure filters and a UV light. I sold all that stuff and only have the bog for filtration.

All I do now is feed and enjoy the fish... No maintenance.

I am in. Time to design it... thanks for the advice! I might "bog" you with more questions at some point

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I am in. Time to design it... thanks for the advice! I might "bog" you with more questions at some point
No problem.
Ask away...
Have you seen these threads?
Lots of good info...

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/my-add-on-bog-build.26848/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yep, I went a long time and wasted so much money and effort before I was inspired by addy to add on a bog. I tried everything. Homemade filters, commercial filters, UV lights. All a waste. My bog is full of beutiful plants, has zero maintenance and my water is crystal clear. It literally looks like you could drink it. My pond is definitely overpopulated with fish and the water was solid green before adding the bog. And that was with two pressure filters and a UV light. I sold all that stuff and only have the bog for filtration. All I do now is feed and enjoy the fish... No maintenance.

the Prez of the BFC ( @poconojoe ) will take good care of ya!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I might be the prez, but I'm also a client too!

Again, @addy1 is the one who started this whole wonderful bog thing for us.
She is our inspiration.
She did it over 10 years ago, even though most internet "experts" said it couldn't be done without creating a stinky mess of muck clogged gravel.
She showed them!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Again, @addy1 is the one who started this whole wonderful bog thing for us.
She is our inspiration.
She did it over 10 years ago, even though most internet "experts" said it couldn't be done without creating a stinky mess of muck clogged gravel.
She showed them!
Aww thanks! shucks............ I just built what I wanted and ignored the experts. I never color in the lines. Did read a lot of monster pond forums about how they used bog type set up for filtration.

I have always used a bog type filter, this was just my biggest.

Ask a Question