sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No life time free cloud and police have pulled stuff from it 2 times with no problems .I bought it back after I rebuilt the pond and even made a video on you tube .They sell nicer sets also .I have found it to help me with my sanity when it comes to the pond .I did but longer wire for 1 of the cameras and free shipping and that was 2.99 each (4 of them )and bought a dvr just in case and replaced 4 outlet box with the 8 outlet one .I put a set at the other house to watch the horses and driveway .So use the 4 camera box over there .Sanity is priceless .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow wow. what type of cameras and how do you currently manage them?
I have a q-see system. I can dial in via phone or lappy and check the yard. I also can replay if I want to see if something happened like when I found the video of the deer stuck under the net. Herons stalking the pond. Red fox wandering around etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a q-see system. I can dial in via phone or lappy and check the yard. I also can replay if I want to see if something happened like when I found the video of the deer stuck under the net. Herons stalking the pond. Red fox wandering around etc.

what do you think the deer was doing under the net? aren't they vegans? lol

i don't have any direct experience with an ip cameras yet. it appears that the media server from unreal technologies
can handle the job and output in html5/http live streaming (hls). an approach i know and like.
the freeware version only allows 5 cameras concurrently though and the paid version is pricey.

something i took a look at is ispy. they have a freeware program that can handle all your cameras i believe.
then you need an account with them (free or paid) free, you can access your cameras through their site.
paid, $7/mo per computer, you can embed any camera in a web page with some javascript they will give you.

then in theory you could host a page with a web server or if you have a web presence with a hosting company,
put a link to each camera and each camera would have it's own page. every page could be from a template
so you could just add the necessary javascript coding to drop in each video feed.

there may be other free in house options other than unreal media without a 5 camera limit. i'll poke around.

also, since q-see has a web interface, you may want to see if they offer an option to embed into a page
like ispy. that could be easy.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I still think the underwater phone vids were awesome. Need to get a feed down there.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
what do you think the deer was doing under the net? aren't they vegans? lol
She decided to crawl under the net to snack on the lilies, then could not figure out how to get out. The video shows her trapped briefly in the shallow end before she crashed through the net on the other side.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I still think the underwater phone vids were awesome. Need to get a feed down there.

that would be a lot of fun. i was looking at the waterproof boroscopes on ebay. their forte may be close up viewing, but i had a thought
that it may be a safe way to take a look at the fish during winter under the ice and snow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
i started work on a tutorial.
i'll post a link when ready.

realized yesterday that an extra smart phone i have makes a good ip camera.
i'm making an enclosure for it today for a bird feeder cam. i'll post a link.
the app has some cool functionality, on android it's called ip webcam by pavel khlebovich.

fish and birds.
sorta like peas and carrots..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
just in time for spring...(sorry, must be cabin fever)

here is the promised tutorial on streaming live video to the world of your place in it.

http://104.193.41.16/tutorials/hls/

i hope you find it easy reading.

there is a discussion session to post questions/comments, etc.
if you have any, you are welcome to ask me here if you prefer.

in the past i've enjoyed making a web page for my home.

a live cam is a nice addition to general info, human and non-human inhabitants, projects,
gallery, meteorological data, night sky stuff, and whatever.

with a bird feeder cam, i would include pictures and info on the birds i would see
come around.

spring is in the air..

is this video in the right forum? lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, I went and read the tut and imo, this is not user friendly even if I love the idea. I have a simplistic web page which I designed and maintain and even then, when issues arise, it can be harrying. I can't see the average ponder/user doing this. Is there no easier/simpler plug and play approach? I realize it's a free system but I'd rather pay than go through the process you outlined. JMHO.

I do applaud all your effort, though.

Michael

Ask a Question