Your live pond live

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, I went and read the tut and imo, this is not user friendly even if I love the idea. I have a simplistic web page which I designed and maintain and even then, when issues arise, it can be harrying. I can't see the average ponder/user doing this. Is there no easier/simpler plug and play approach? I realize it's a free system but I'd rather pay than go through the process you outlined. JMHO.

I do applaud all your effort, though.

Michael

i did a little research on some options.

there are some considerations.

it depends a bit on what you want to do.

adding a stream to your existing web page depends on where it is. how is it hosted and by who?

most web hosts with basic packages don't support video streaming. potential bandwidth hog.

all options entail some work. some more than others.

it's super easy to stream your cam video in a web page. problem is, your the only
one who can see it because it's capturing the cam of whomever goes to that page.

with html5 and webrtc(realtime communications) there is some cool stuff you can do,
but it's more difficult.

youtube needs you to install an encoder and configure it

there are some software programs that will stream your cam to some services and the net.

obs studio will stream to youtube and other hosts but it takes some configuration.
a stream to your web page takes even more.

vlc (videolan) will stream to the net but i haven't been able to make it work
and adding to a webpage takes some coding

i was excited about tincam today, but couldn't get it to work because of an ftp issue i have.
nice free program though and worth looking at.

pretty much does what the next one does...

if you are running xp or maybe windows 7 32 bit, head over to archive.org and download
biromsoft webcam. it may work for you. it was the first i ever used, very easy, and
serves up your webcam in flash from a webpage it creates on your computer.
easy to style the page also. you always have to open ports to serve content in house.
i couldn't get it to recognize my cam on my 64 bit windows 7 or 10 today.
it's old and meant for windows 98 and xp. a great simple product.
it has it's own web server.

tincam and biromsoft do what my tutorial does in one app.
though it's a flash stream and limits the devices it will reach, it's still cool.

i'm currently looking at ustream.tv
a hosting service for streaming your cam.
simple as pie.

the service can be free with ads. they offer a free trial with no ads for a time
then you can have 5 viewers for free with ads in perpetuity.

they host your cam on a page that cannot be styled. it's plain and nice enough.

paid options start at 100/month

livestream.com is 500/yr 99/mo with no ads

there are similar services with different packages.

the issue with WiFi IP cams is that if you serve it to the internet, generally you are serving up
the system administration to. there may be some will allow web viewing without admin access.

speaking of which, i bought a sricam wifi cam hoping to interface it with my pc. couldn't do it.
it's meant for android and ios. i don't do cell phones. i put it in the free section of craigslist for the last 2 months.
not much interest, new in the box. if anyone wants it, they are welcome to it.

if aynyone wants, i can walk you you through a lot of it if you are having trouble.

a very cool and easy way to video conference for assistance is hosted by google at https://appr.tc/
it's an example of webrtc. anyone can create a conference room and share the url for others to join the room.
simple as pie.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
speaking of which, i bought a sricam wifi cam hoping to interface it with my pc. couldn't do it.
it's meant for android and ios. i don't do cell phones. i put it in the free section of craigslist for the last 2 months.
not much interest, new in the box. if anyone wants it, they are welcome to it.

I am interested in the camera.

PM Sent.

Phil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, I went and read the tut and imo, this is not user friendly even if I love the idea. I have a simplistic web page which I designed and maintain and even then, when issues arise, it can be harrying. I can't see the average ponder/user doing this. Is there no easier/simpler plug and play approach? I realize it's a free system but I'd rather pay than go through the process you outlined. JMHO.

I do applaud all your effort, though.

Michael
where is your web page? who hosts it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
on a cool and groovy side note, i sent the link for the tutorial to unreal streaming technologies
because i used their software in the tutorial. they've ended up putting the link on
their web site in their user tutorial section. wow wow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I know this is off topic but I had to share.

I hooked up the camera last night. I did a reset on it & hooked it up to my network.

I placed it on the headboard of my bed. It is facing the foot of the bed and catches pretty much the whole room. One of my cats loves to sleep on my bed when I am gone. I checked the camera with my smart phone when I was out to lunch. It worked great. Sure enough my cat was on the bed sleeping. This camera has the ability for 2 way communication. So I pushed the talk button and said her name.

Boy her head popped up & she looked all around the room. lol

Later on tonight I was away from the house after dark. I checked on the camera again to check on the night vision. The cat was on the bed again. When it is in night vision mode the infared lights around the camera come on. She looked up when she saw the lights on. Then she went back to sleep.

I called her again & she just stared at the camera. When she put her head down my wife started to talk to her. Then the poor thing started to pace the bed crying.

Needless to say the camera works great.. Thanks urglik.

Phil

P.S. The cat sure was glad when we got home. Hope I don't give her a complex... lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
She must have been so confused! It was a good was to test that everything is working though (y)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The more of the infrared leds you have the more you can see .Mine by the pond have 58 of them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I have a Nest cam on my pond 24/7. I tend to watch my fish all day on a second monitor while I'm at work. This allows me to 1) enjoy my fish and relieve work stress, 2) watch for flashing or other behavioral issues, and 3) watch for any predators like raccoons or herons (thankfully we have had none).

There's a shareable link, however, I only give it to a few people because I can't support the bandwidth to share it with the whole forum group here (no matter how much I love all of you!!!) But the camera has worked reliably for nearly a year of nonstop use now. I'm considering adding another indoor cam for my fancy goldfish aquarium. Those chubby little bastards have stolen my heart! Haha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I hooked up the camera last night. I did a reset on it & hooked it up to my network.

I placed it on the headboard of my bed. It is facing the foot of the bed and catches pretty much the whole room.
LOL What could go wrong!

Ask a Question