Your live pond live

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
i'v been fond of doing bird feeder cams that one can access from the web and make a page with it. since i now have a watercourse and fish pond, i plan on setting one or two up in the spring. with a little diy, making a waterproof underwater camera from a common pc cam shouldn't be too difficult or one can be placed above water. usb repeater cables are not very expensive and should work for many pond locations up to 75ft from the computer.

since i'm a bit of a computer geek, i like doing things in-house. i would be happy to help
anyone learn a relatively simple way to serve the live feed up to most any device in the world from a webpage all done on your own pc computer using open source code. (freeware)
sorry, no macs allowed. nothing personal, i just don't know ya. lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought security cameras for my pond and property but did not do the underwater ones .I saw them on ebay .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine is set up as private so no one can see when some one is home or not .But I can get on it remotely

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I bought security cameras for my pond and property but did not do the underwater ones .I saw them on ebay .

i just took a quick look on ebay and found the endoscope/boroscopes interesting. pricing for most where 10-20 dollars.
cheap enough to try one out

i like this one
http://amzn.to/2h7VGiO.

i would be concerned with any cables longer than 5 meters or 15 ft.with one of these cameras. usb has it's working parameters.
they may be using a repeater cable with ones longer than 15 ft, but they don't say. also long repeater cables run best if they are powered by
house current and not the usb bus which these do.

with a repeater cable like this one, your camera could be over 90 feet from the computer if needs be.
http://bit.ly/2gcWazz

here is the ac power adaptor for the repeater cable.
http://bit.ly/2gcNNJs

one could certainly take a wifi ip camera approach like i believe your security cameras are. the ability to view the feed can
be proprietary software or focused on iphone and android phone apps for personal monitoring and can be more difficult to put into a web page served from a home computer. pc cams are cheap and good and easy to work with.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Glad I'm not the only geek here :)

It would be cool if we set that up for each of us :)

perhaps i could make a tutorial or set up a collaboration/conference page so i can work you through it.

the basic parts are a simple web server for simplicity like abyss or usb webserver, 2 products from unreal media

technologies, their media server and live server

and a web media player to integrate into a web page that you serve from your web server.

i use plyr https://plyr.io/ with some hls code to stream in hls format (http live streaming).

it's all in html5. no flash.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Q-See security systems have web viewing available. I have their wired cameras set up for the ponds and yard. Still working with underwater cameras. There aren't any that are meant to be submerged for any length of time. Aquascape did make one but it has been discontinued. I have one running now and am playing with getting another camera I have.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine was an elec system and cost less than 90 dollars and have yet to have a problem with it .I did replace one of the cameras with one with more leds for night viewing .It came with free cloud set up and I can view it from my puter and my tablet where ever I am .My heat pump system works the same way .I can even see that the cameras and the heat pump are working right .I installed the cameras myself and only bad part was running the wires in the attic with 6 feet of blown in insulation .The wifi for my heat pump was free with the install and it even notified lennox and the installer that one of the compressors was not working right before it notified me .They called me to come replace it just as I saw it online .New technology is not all bad .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have 18 cams, only three don't watch the yard, pond, critters.

It would be neat to learn how to set up the above mentioned.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 on the pond and worth every penny and one is on the back yard and one front yard and one on the driveway .I can hook up 8 cameras total if I want to .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Mine was an elec system and cost less than 90 dollars and have yet to have a problem with it .I did replace one of the cameras with one with more leds for night viewing .It came with free cloud set up and I can view it from my puter and my tablet where ever I am .My heat pump system works the same way .I can even see that the cameras and the heat pump are working right .I installed the cameras myself and only bad part was running the wires in the attic with 6 feet of blown in insulation .The wifi for my heat pump was free with the install and it even notified lennox and the installer that one of the compressors was not working right before it notified me .They called me to come replace it just as I saw it online .New technology is not all bad .

it's a good approach as i see it. simple, dependable, and reasonably priced. is there any yearly fee for the cloud?
it seems that your feed goes to them and you can access mobilee, but there is also software to manage it at home?

nice to hear from another that uses the term "puter"

Ask a Question