Your "priceless" story

Reaction score
Oh yes Addy, he lived, however he was no longer a top swimmer like our fish.
Instead of inspiring his new pond friends to swim topside, he became as
shy as our friends fish and hung out deep in the bowels of his new pond and only
came topside to snatch food. :(

our top swimmers!

P1010308fish_rev__10-17-05.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well glad to hear, all of my fish are hogs, and top swimmers. We do have one blind fish..............real pretty long fin, one of the rescue fish. It does real good finding the pellets I also drop food right by its face and in the plants, It likes to look among the plants for pellets.

Reaction score
Ya know addy, the koi actually have bad eyesight. They have an excellent sense of smell
and get more food with their noses than their sight. They also have extraordinary hearing!
I try and open my back door very quietly and step out quietly and they hear me and come running
to the beach where we feed them. Using their noses more than their sight, they grab their food.

p1210011silver_rev__8-22-04.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is nice to know, I see it go along the surface gulping, every now and then grabbing a pellet. It seems to now know where the plants are and pellets get trapped, easy pickings for it. Seems healthy, not too skinny. I think the change from the small pond to this one took it by surprise, it hung around a lot just now finally swimming freely. Has learned the pond boundaries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I totally agree with you Joann, but I have no idea if it's true! I was just noticing this evening how the koi seem to smell the pellets, and go to where they are, even if they don't notice the "plop" when I drop some into the area. Tonight, I had put some by the lilies, and there was a pellet that was on top of a lily pad, and the koi kept nosing around that pad until they got that one little piece to drop into the water. :)

Ask a Question