2" Flexible PVC, underlayment, liner questions

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
10x10x5.5 pond, 25x25 liner. Hubby tore his shoulder just after we finished digging out bottom as much as we could so he was done with the build. Liner was about 200lbs. dropped into hole and unboxed. Centered it as much as possible and started unfolding. I used large clamps to hold it to the top of the walls and then started filling. Took me a few days but was able to get corners folded and walls smooth. Wish I would have thought to seal seams in corners but it worked out. Only thing was the Firestone label was showing! Still was 6 years later but koi didn't seem to mind. It can be done but don't recommend doing that liner with less than 2-3 people!

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 53
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just keep in mind termites can't lift very large boulders 4 men boulders would be my guess. But agreed you can get far more creative with equipment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just keep in mind termites can't lift very large boulders 4 men boulders would be my guess. But agreed you can get far more creative with equipment.
not to mention you'll feel bette the next day...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I did haul one big boulder out of there with the Terramite. I don't think I could have done it by hand.
It was a cute machine. Basically a small backhoe with a big lawn mower engine.
It also had the flat blade at the other end.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I made lots of "flex PVC, huh?" jokes as we were struggling with that stuff. It definitely belies it's name. I think they should call it "MORE flex but not REALLY FLEXIBLE PVC". Maybe not as catchy? haha! We just worked it into the trench and didn't try for any tight corners . Plus it was 456 degrees the week we laid our plumbing, so that helped. haha!

I would recommend that you don't just dump the folded liner into the hole. You want to unfold it completely and then refold it in a way that makes sense. We folded ours complexly in half, then in half again, then from the other direction folded it in quarters. Now you want to start it in the middle of the pond and unfold it methodically - so much easier. We were lucky that we had a lot of guys hanging around that day doing other landscape work. They were fascinated by our oddball project and were happy to grab a corner. A lot depends too on how much space you have around the pond. If I had enough, I would unfold it completely and have people on all sides and just drag it across the hole and lower it in. You might have to make some adjustments once it's in, but you'd generally be in the correct spot. I would also be way smarter than we were and not buy three times as much liner as you actually need. haha!

You asked about water - there are companies that will deliver water in a truck. People do it for their pools all the time. Otherwise do what my neighbor did - wait until you think your neighbor is gone, and then hook YOUR hose up to HIS house! Have a good explanation ready though, for when he catches you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You asked about water - there are companies that will deliver water in a truck. People do it for their pools all the time. Otherwise do what my neighbor did - wait until you think your neighbor is gone, and then hook YOUR hose up to HIS house! Have a good explanation ready though, for when he catches you!

okay, NOW we know who the resident trouble-maker is on GPF!!!! Sheesh!;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As a fellow well user, and with a similar sized pond going in, I plan to do a bit at a time fill. I’ve dug my pond with steps, and I’ll be using aluminum tent stakes to be sure the under liner stays in place. Once the weather decides to cooperate, I’ll be putting my liner in, turning the hose on, and walking away for a few hours. Turn it off, come back after the sun thaws out the icy water to a non frigid temp, and get in. Smooth and fold as needed, then add more water. Rinse and repeat until it’s filled and folded well. Then I get to try and figure out how to hide my edges, as we have no rock out here to work with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As a fellow well user, and with a similar sized pond going in, I plan to do a bit at a time fill. I’ve dug my pond with steps, and I’ll be using aluminum tent stakes to be sure the under liner stays in place. Once the weather decides to cooperate, I’ll be putting my liner in, turning the hose on, and walking away for a few hours. Turn it off, come back after the sun thaws out the icy water to a non frigid temp, and get in. Smooth and fold as needed, then add more water. Rinse and repeat until it’s filled and folded well. Then I get to try and figure out how to hide my edges, as we have no rock out here to work with.
@JamieB ; I'd not be using anything with a point under my liner; the ground moves and it just might end up pushing one of those spikes the wrong way. Let the weight of the water filling keep everything in place. I've also heard of taping the underlayment, but never 'nail-like' mechanisms.

re your edges; you can do the same 'half-shelf' trick most use for a rock border, but use even sod or some clump of planting in the same way. Use something that can grow with it's feet always wet, like forgetmenots, which can be attached to something like cork or even old fallen logs/branches. Over time, it will naturalize.

JMHO

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@JamieB ; I'd not be using anything with a point under my liner; the ground moves and it just might end up pushing one of those spikes the wrong way. Let the weight of the water filling keep everything in place. I've also heard of taping the underlayment, but never 'nail-like' mechanisms.

re your edges; you can do the same 'half-shelf' trick most use for a rock border, but use even sod or some clump of planting in the same way. Use something that can grow with it's feet always wet, like forgetmenots, which can be attached to something like cork or even old fallen logs/branches. Over time, it will naturalize.

JMHO
I assumed those spikes mentioned are just temporary, but good point! Ha!

Great idea about the shelves, using plants instead of rocks.
Without rocks, I couldn't come up with anything.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've also heard of taping the underlayment, but never 'nail-like' mechanisms.
Mother nature within frost areas in my area down over 3 feet in the worst case scenario can move a rock boulder item underground up to a foot a year. And spikinging unless it's stainless in time they can rot out leaving God knows what pointing at your liner.

I used Gorilla duck tape it worked well on the non woven I'm sure it will work even better on woven fabric. Over size tge fabric and simply place boulders along the edge of the fabric. And don't be stingy don't try to just overlap a couple inches over lap like a foot so if you do blow out the tape you should still be in good shape. This is your insurance policy don't pinch pennies at this point in the build your foundation is always THE MOST CRITICAL in any build.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was actually going with the J shaped aluminum kind, where there’s only a bend pointed twords the pond, the “spike” and the other potentially pokey bit going into the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was actually going with the J shaped aluminum kind, where there’s only a bend pointed twords the pond, the “spike” and the other potentially pokey bit going into the ground.
doesn't matter; it's still got a pointy end that could come back to haunt you later down the road. Use the tape, instead.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
to risky in my book

Ask a Question